drywall routers, should I get one?
do you have a link to your model Bosch?
If you have a cat that jumps onto your hot water tank and falls behind the tank and dies and its guts and blood run under the hot water heater and get baked into the plywood below the tank and you need to cut the death-soaked plywood and guts out without disturbing the tank, then a rotozip works real good for that.

Wear goggles, wear a mask, don't eat lunch before hand.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
EricU said:

do you have a link to your model Bosch?

I did some looking, came up empty. It is over 20 years old.

The model number is Spiral Cut 1683.
K. L, McReynolds said:

In my experience, using a rotary tool for cutouts/trimming is a LOT faster/easier than cutting before installing.

Example: Hang a full sheet across a door/window and use the tool to trim the excess beats measuring and cutting and trying not to break off the odd piece left when mounting.

I have a Bosch, and that's how I do it, too.

e deploribus unum

I only use my rotozip for cutting round holes. And that's for custom sizes that I don't have a holesaw for. For most all cutting I use a multi tool like others mentioned. I have two of the milwaukee 12 volt ones with different blades in each and they are very handy.

Also rotozip is a bosch product along with dremel and skil.
I think I'm going to have a lot of round cutouts on the ceiling in the basement, so maybe I'll have to look into this more. I guess it doesn't really require a specialized tool. But as far as rotary tools, I'm not sure what to get. I'd rather not spend enough to get a cordless at this point. I'm still using NIMH Dewalt drills.

Mandrake said:

If you have a cat that jumps onto your hot water tank ...{snip}

reminds me of my days in aviation HVAC where I would advise people they needed to clean the remains of a bird out of their heat exchanger. I think they all knew that was what was wrong, just didn't want to think of it themselves.
Mandrake said:

If you have a cat that jumps onto your hot water tank and falls behind the tank and dies and its guts and blood run under the hot water heater and get baked into the plywood below the tank and you need to cut the death-soaked plywood and guts out without disturbing the tank, then a rotozip works real good for that.

Wear goggles, wear a mask, don't eat lunch before hand.

Ew....

chris
I have a roto zip. It does make a lot of dust. That's great if you are in new construction. If you are doing a mod or partial work find some way to block off the area. I was helping on a mod of a building into a church and had my roto-zip along. I could never find it when I needed it. Turn you back and someone else was using it. Everyone liked the way it worked. Hang some drywall right over a vent or electrical box, then take the roto-zip and do the cut out. I wish they made a vacuum connection for them. The last time I used it 2 of us were working in one small room and one guy held a shop vac close to the cutter head area. That helped but still didn't get rid of all the dust. Except for the dust issue, I like what it does.
I talk to myself.  There are times I need an expert opinion.
Daughter's boyfriend (DBF) put himself through college doing drywall for his father's drywall business and some large residential contractors. He still does it from time to time.

DBF did a job for me last winter. I was talking to him about tools and asked about the rotozip. He uses a professional version of the rotozip. He said, though, that if he was only doing a single job and needed to buy something, that he would forgo the rotozip and do it with a cheaper tool. He also indicated that you need to lay in a good stock of bits. He was able to do the bathroom job with one bit, but then, he has "the touch."

One thing DBF also said...check the pawn shops for used tools in trades like drywalling. He said he and his dad NEVER buy new. Buy good pro-quality tools used like the screw guns and rotozips. Many times you can find these tools in pawn shops as guys leave the business.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
leave the business or have their trucks looted and pawn shops act as the middleman
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.