Metal Lathe loading challenge
Found a cnc lathe deal and want to go get it since my last one got damaged in greight shipping. So soon I need to make a 650 mile trip to pickup a Birmingham 1236 metal lathe. It has been mechanically converted to CNC so it weighs slightly less than a full gear head lathe but still ~1000lbs. I want to put it in the bed of my Nissan Titan King cab (think extended cab).

My challenge - The place I am buying it from does not have a roll up door at ground height - only semi docks.

My plan is to haul the lathe off the stand on a pallet in the bed of my truck.

So my choices are
1. Roll it out a front pedestrian door and load it in my truck but without the use of their fudge truck

2. Lower it off the dock into the bed of my truck with straps and a fudge truck.

Any advice on how to load it safely in either of the two methods above?

Third option is to pay for freight but I am dealing with a freight damaged latheh right now and really do not want to risk another deal.

They look like this:

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I used an engine hoist to lift a very similar non CNC lathe into the back of a Honda Ridgeline

Manual should have at least one picture showing where to put straps near headstock

Duke
Forklift and straps is how I'd go. It's not that heavy so a regular strap will do fine. If I had a few helpers I'd just carry it. That's how we did the ones for the school shop.
My question is;

What are you going to do when you get it home?

Without my friends bobcat, I would have been stuck.
I'd go with the fudge lift and straps, but one question -- are the forks long enough to put the lathe where you need it in the bed? How long is the lathe?

Will it make the truck tail-heavy? Can your tires take the load?

I'd make sure the heavy end of that lathe went forward.

I'm also jealous
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
If you are going to separate the lathe from the stand and palletize the lathe, either method would work.

You shouldn't have much trouble dragging the palletized lathe up a ramp if you cover the ramp with a cheap sheet of 1/4" hardboard (slick side up obviously) and use a comealong.

Works for loading and unloading. But have help..one person to run the comealong, one person to watch & guide the ascent/descent.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Find someone with a lift gate who is hauling from the same facility. Pay them a few buck to pull away from the dock and lower the load, transfer from truck to truck. It may cost a bit, not it will not be a freight charge.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Man these are all great ideas. Thank you.

I have a tractor with a loader to unload it when I get home.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Cecil said:

Find someone with a lift gate who is hauling from the same facility. Pay them a few buck to pull away from the dock and lower the load, transfer from truck to truck. It may cost a bit, not it will not be a freight charge.

I have a 1,000 lb lift on my truck and have done this several times for people- good suggestion.

Never thought of charging for it though.
Sunbelt rentals has drop bed trailers. I almost rented the dual axle (7,000 capacity) and bought a used single axle (4,000 rating) from them.

Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson