Front Door ideas?
So, my wife wants a new front door, with some glass in it, and I was thinking of making one. Somewhere I read a post on making a veneered one with a mdf core.
Anyone know of this method, as well as other construction methods?

Or I might cut out the top 2 "raised panels" and make frames for glass. But not sure what is inside the metal door, where I need to cut out.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I think you will find there is foam in there, rigid type.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Yep, your existing metal door has likely got expanded foam in the middle.

You can buy retrofit kits to add insulated/decorative glass to plain doors: cut out opening in existing door, drop in retrofit window, etc.

I would not make anything potentially exposed to the elements out of MDF.  Maybe you were thinking of MDO - MDF's weather-resistant cousin.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(08-21-2016, 01:25 PM)MKepke Wrote: Yep, your existing metal door has likely got expanded foam in the middle.

You can buy retrofit kits to add insulated/decorative glass to plain doors: cut out opening in existing door, drop in retrofit window, etc.

I would not make anything potentially exposed to the elements out of MDF.  Maybe you were thinking of MDO - MDF's weather-resistant cousin.

-Mark

I haven't found any window kit with the right size.
Might just make inner and outter mouldings to screw together, with a groove for glass.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
What size glass are you looking for? 

you can buy replacement units up to 30" wide and various heights depending on the door 

all steel doors are slabs to start the openings are cut after the fact based on the glass you desire 

any decent lumberyard should have the info you desire......

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

If I cut out the top 2 "raised Panels" to install 1 wide window, the cut out size is 13" x 22"
Each individual top panel cut out is, 13" x 9 1/2"
You are excluding the center mullion if you are talking about 1 window.  and you can get shorter units than 13" 

This page shows most options available

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Joe knows doors  
Cool
Wink
Dave

I, too, plan to make a front door.  Luckily, mine will be all glass with a 6" stile and top rail, 14" bottom rail.  It will be round top.   What wood?   Mahagony, white oak?   How do I prevent eventual warping?  I could do a stave-core, but I am concerned that the 'veneer' (I guess about 1/8"-1/4") could de-laminate.  There will be a storm door to protect from the direct elements.    Thoughts?
(08-24-2016, 03:53 PM)AlanS Wrote: I, too, plan to make a front door.  Luckily, mine will be all glass with a 6" stile and top rail, 14" bottom rail.  It will be round top.   What wood?   Mahagony, white oak?   How do I prevent eventual warping?  I could do a stave-core, but I am concerned that the 'veneer' (I guess about 1/8"-1/4") could de-laminate.  There will be a storm door to protect from the direct elements.    Thoughts?

My thinking is along the same line as yours.  That is, there are pros and cons of both approaches.  While the stave core may be more dimensionally stable, there do seem some risks for the average home workshop guy in the laminations of the core and the veneers.

I'm leaning towards solid white oak.