Bowl gouge
(10-08-2016, 11:58 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Robo

He has bowl gouges he was just asking for a spindle gouge.  Like you say I do 80% of all my turning with a 5/8 Thompson bowl gouge.  Then the 3/8 for not only spindle work but for beads and then a 1/16 parting tool

No Arlin - he was asking about bowl gouges - both his post and title say he is asking about bowl not spindle

R
(10-07-2016, 09:05 PM)AHill Wrote: Agree with Arlin about 3/8" being the best compromise for most work.  I personally like Thompson Lathe Tools.  I don't have any other tool that holds its edge as long as Thompson's.  You will need to either make your own handle or purchase a handle separately.

I guess I was thinking the British measurement, which is flute width and not diameter of the tool.  A 3/8" Sorby bowl gouge is roughly equivalent to a 1/2" US bowl gouge.  I do most of my initial work with a 1/2" Thompson bowl gouge.  The 3/8" Thompson is indeed for finer / smaller work.  I don't use 5/8" gouges much.  Most of my turning is using dry exotic hardwoods, and not roughing green wood, which can take meatier cuts.  If turning green wood, I think 5/8" (US) is the way to go.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-11-2016, 02:47 PM)AHill Wrote: I guess I was thinking the British measurement, which is flute width and not diameter of the tool.  A 3/8" Sorby bowl gouge is roughly equivalent to a 1/2" US bowl gouge.  I do most of my initial work with a 1/2" Thompson bowl gouge.  The 3/8" Thompson is indeed for finer / smaller work.  I don't use 5/8" gouges much.  Most of my turning is using dry exotic hardwoods, and not roughing green wood, which can take meatier cuts.  If turning green wood, I think 5/8" (US) is the way to go.

Disagree with the statement that you can't use large gouges for dry wood.  How much edge engages and at what angle determines the "meatiness" of the cut.  Hard maple, dry, 5/8 flute.

[Image: ShavingWide.jpg]

Dry yellow birch, same gouge.

[Image: 09-Bowl-Gouge.jpg]

http://vid35.photobucket.com/albums/d160...aj3dj6.mp4  Working differently, same gouge.

Sort of like big lathes being capable of large work, but small ones not.  You can turn a lot with a big gouge as long as there's room up top to angle it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.