Access door to attic???
(11-17-2016, 10:24 AM)MikeBob Wrote: The flip side of that in WI is, in order to classify a room as a bedroom, it needs a closet.

Lots of old houses here with bedrooms that have no closets. People use armoires.
(11-17-2016, 11:18 AM)Woodjets Wrote: Lots of old houses here with bedrooms that have no closets. People use armoires.

Ya I know.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

is the thing about closets just a real estate convention?  My mom's house was built before the advent of closets.  More damage was done to that house in the name of adding closets than just about anything else.  Mom had taken them all out except for the one in her room.  I put two back in.  It really was a 4 BR house with another 2 rooms that could easily have been a bedroom, but it was listed as a 3 BR house.  One guy that wanted to buy it was going to put restaurant workers in it, probably would have subdivided it into a 9 bedroom house.
There are bldg codes that define what a bedroom is. The purpose is that a bedroom needs to have ingress for firefighters. A bedroom must have either an exterior door or a window with certain dimensions and the bottom of the opening no more than a specific distance from the floor. In some areas this code applies to all rooms(not just bedrooms).
We've installed at least 300 windows and have only had an inspector come out twice to check the work.
I was familiar with egress requirements, but it seems like closets aren't the sort of thing that would make it into the building code.  I want to put egress windows into my basement.  It's another one on the list.
Here in our state...a BR has to have a door...   and if you put in a door...they septic has to be sized larger and the taxes go up.   Wife had a small room (maybe 7x9)...  I still have the door in the garage.
that's interesting about taxes.  I'm pretty sure that our taxes are based on square footage.
I may just put a hatch in the garage and use a step ladder to access it. I will make it fire rated and also put a lock on it. They say the garage is the easiest point of entry into a house for a thief.
John T.
I have an electronic lock on my garage door, so they would have to do a lot of damage to the door to get in.  And then when they get in the attic, there is no access to the rest of the house unless they go through a wall, which seems like a lot of work for the average thief.

I guess drywall is the best way to add fire resistance to the door?  Or maybe replace the 1/4" ply with a thicker ply.
Yes will have to do something like that. Seems like many people have this so I see no reason I should not do it also.
John T.