Carbide Blades sharpening service?
Thanks for all the replies...that carbide sharpener is interesting
Keep your mouth shut and nobody will know how stupid you are........I should have listened!
(12-02-2016, 07:28 PM)Jason28 Wrote: Hank,

I believe Freud will sharpen the Fusion blades, but you'd want to contact them to be sure.

I have to admit my information may be outdated. When I worked at a particular woodworking store, my Freud rep told me the blades could be sent back to Freud for sharpening since they have a proprietary grind that would be destroyed by a typical service. That was almost 6 years ago now though, so it may have changed.
Jason

(12-03-2016, 10:29 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Thanks, John. I'll give Dynamic a try.
Jason, unless I missed something (likely), Freud's web site doesn't have any info that indicates that Freud will sharpen blades. It simply refers you to their "certified" sharpening services. In my case those turned out to be a complete bust.

I have to admit my information is probably outdated. When I worked at a particular woodworking store, my Freud rep told me the blades could be sent back to Freud for sharpening since they have a proprietary grind that would be destroyed by a typical service. That was almost 6 years ago now though, so it may have changed.
Jason

Eide Saw & Tool Services in Minneapolis is outstanding - They are pretty close to Youngblood lumber if I recall correctly.  I believe they give a discount for ww guild members here in MN.    Rosemount Saw and Tool service does a good job sharpening, but I don't know if they replace teeth or not.  I believe Rosemount S&T does the sharpening for the local Rockler stores and are located on Hwy 3 in Rosemount, MN on the south side of the Cities..

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
(12-08-2016, 09:08 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: You can buy a carbide blade sharpener from HF for less than $50. It works. I've  sharpened every carbide blade in my shop and several others. I could have easily set up a business doing it. One month the local sawmill paid me $100 for sharpening a few of their blades attached to a gang saw.

I'm going to have to give that a try. I've been eyeing that machine for a while.
(12-14-2016, 01:31 AM)daddo Wrote:  I'm going to have to give that a try. I've been eyeing that machine for a while.

I'm sure if Edwin says it sharpens blades then it does, but seriously, you can't expect a machine that costs $50 to sharpen a blade as well as one that costs $500K, especially if the blade has multiple cutting angles like many of the new blades.  I'll happily spend the $12 - $15 knowing my blades are sharpened at least as good as new. 

John
(12-14-2016, 02:47 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I'm sure if Edwin says it sharpens blades then it does, but seriously, you can't expect a machine that costs $50 to sharpen a blade as well as one that costs $500K, especially if the blade has multiple cutting angles like many of the new blades.  I'll happily spend the $12 - $15 knowing my blades are sharpened at least as good as new. 

John

The face is usually all they grind. If you have bent teeth, damaged teeth, need backside grinding or any other corrections, those are usually extra charges. By then, you might be better off just buying another new blade.

Example is; "Grinding both sides of teeth"- $11.00 more.
                    "Straighten teeth"-  $3.00 per tooth.

But I'm sure they would let you know before they started though.

So basically, your paying to sharpen a blade in good condition. But I won't argue- they can/will do a better job- otherwise, they could have just gone to HF for 50 bucks for the machine.  
Laugh
Sparky, if you watch the video of the Vollmer machine at Dynamic Saw you will see that it sharpens every face of every tooth.  On a simple blade, that's four faces.  For a blade with 60 teeth, that's 240 separate grinds the machine makes.  That seems like a bargain to me for less than $15.   If you look at their prices you'll see they are based on the number of teeth on the blade, not how many faces need to be ground.  

John
(12-14-2016, 09:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Sparky, if you watch the video of the Vollmer machine at Dynamic Saw you will see that it sharpens every face of every tooth.  On a simple blade, that's four faces.  For a blade with 60 teeth, that's 240 separate grinds the machine makes.  That seems like a bargain to me for less than $15.   If you look at their prices you'll see they are based on the number of teeth on the blade, not how many faces need to be ground.  

John

I've seen the video before, and if they do grind all sides for that price I guess it is more than worth it.
Acme Tools has locations throughout Minnesota and has a sharpening service I use and with which I am very happy. It is a central location somewhere and they use their own logistics to get the blades from the stores to the sharpener and back.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!