Best and Worst of 2016
As we approach the end of the year, I thought I'd start a thread to allow some discussion.  I'll start.  Woodworking related answers only, please!

What was the best new tool introduced in 2016?
Hard to say on this one.  The upgrade to the Veritas Plow was good.  The introduction of the Veritas mortise chisels was welcome.

What was the biggest disappointment in 2016?
Still no Lie-Nielsen plow plane.  Prototype rolled out in October-ish 2013.  Still "working out the bugs" more than 3 years later.  When does a prototype become an antique?

Most significant loss of woodworking talent?
Leonard Lee.  A giant in the industry.  'Nuff said.
Vladamir Kagan.  Google him.  He was innovative.

Nomination for best / most interesting / most controversial thread of the year.
Best thread:  Derek Cohen's thread on the tall lingerie chest he made for his wife.  Design, problem solving, and craftsmanship all rolled into one.
Most controversial thread:  Any rehash of bevel up vs. bevel down with references to chip breaker setting.

What new skill did you learn this year?
For me, it was using a bowl gouge to hollow out the inside of bowls without getting catches.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-07-2016, 02:10 PM)AHill Wrote: Vladamir Kagan.  Google him.  He was innovative.

I did and you're right.  Iconic design.

A bit of a cop out but I can't argue with any of your other selections either.

Good idea for a thread.
Lots of people piled on in defense of the No. 6 size plane,  despite Patrick Leach's opinion  
Smile
Chris
I believe the most controversial thread(s) were about the Saw Stop / Bosch Reaxx. Lottttttts of pertinent discussion and lines in the sand.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Leonard Lee was a tremendous person and built a great company.  He left it in his son's capable hands.
Andy Margeson
My blog
Hi Allan

Thank you for the kind words, but most of all, thank you for the link to Vladamir Kagan. What an inspiration for us all!

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Not that it is exactly a life-changer, but its possible that the many of the first generation of L-N customers may never have a chance to use a plow plane from this maker.  Meanwhile, their closest competitor has designed, sold, and then redesigned their version.