A Flag Case for my Dad
Isn't it amazing how many of us need to get going on the same type of project. I don't know if it's procrastination or it's hard to get started on projects like these because of the thoughts and memories behind them.
John you may be on to something. Dad had been tied to Fort Benning through most of the war. He was told his place was in the training, and he wanted to go fight. After the bombs fell he went to the Phillipines, and then onward to Japan. That may be why he had the 11 patch. Most of the earlier outgoing troops had been 101st that did go to Europe. He rarely spoke of his military time, so a lot of that was a mystery while he was alive. Mom gave my Sister his military medals after his death, and it's just been since then that we have pieced it together.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Great job on the case.  Nice touch using a piece of wood with family history.  My father served in the USAF during Korea and Vietnam.  The last of my grandmother's siblings passed away this year.  He was a WWII vet and fought in the Battle of the Bulge.  I served in the Army, but never in a combat zone.  I did, however, jump out of perfectly good airplanes!  I have a nephew still serving who was in the 82d Airborne Div, and now is in the 101st Airborne.  He just returned from his second deployment.  A military graveside service always makes me shed a tear.  It's hard to describe the bond you have with those who have served.

Condolences on your loss, and God bless your father for his service.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Beautiful job on the flag case, John! And as several have mentioned, the piece of cherry with a connection to your dad makes it even more meaningful. 

"The Greatest Generation" stepped up and performed brilliantly when it counted most. My dad was in the Army Air Corps during WWII, serving as a B-29 mechanic. His unit was scheduled to be shipped overseas when the war ended in the Pacific. He was in training in New Mexico when the first atom bomb was tested there. I remember vividly his telling me, when I was very young, about having seen it. 

I served in the Army but never in a combat zone. Having served I believe gives you a special connection to the country. I wish that more than the ~1% that volunteer for the armed services, would have the experience of serving. I believe it could only help the country overall.

Again, wonderful job and well thought out!

Doug
That is the best tribute a son can give to a man he looked up to and loved. Your dad was and always will be very proud of what you became as s man and how u go about your life. He is looking down on you telling everybody around him that's my boy and I raised him with his mother. Your father could not have asked for a better son or way to remember him by.
John
    What a beautiful tribute to your Dad.   In the beginning it was Father to Son.  Now it is Son to Father.
    Whatever you and your Mom decide to put in the display area, and the choices are many depending on what's in your Dad's " WWI shoe box",  make a contents list, put it in an envelope and attach it to the back of the case.  As mentioned, this will be passed down for generations.  Lots of info on-line about identifying  medals and campaign ribbons.  Oh, do this on acid free paper and with a #2 pencil. 

Dave
Such beautiful comments from so many.  Tears are running down my face. 

Thank you.  

John