Last minute wine stoppers
Just got the last coat of gloss polyurethane on these and ready to Christmas wrap for brother and his girlfriend.
Nothing real fancy. This is the first two I ever made. It was uh... exciting getting them mounted on the lathe.
Did a few experimental pieces before getting these completed.
One is red mallee and the other is purple heart.

[Image: CraigampJulie_zpswkgfactq.jpg]
those are neat, did you use a mandrel?  Did you make the metal parts?
Nice job,I am sure they will be appreciated.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I love that Red Mallee. I may have to get some of it. We don't get it in the store.

Well done! Pretty darn excellent for your firsts. My firsts looked like absolute poo.

I posted a few of mine up in the woodworking forum, along with a cutting board, if you want to take a look. Maybe some inspiration. My kids designed them.

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7326342

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(12-22-2016, 05:56 PM)EricU Wrote: those are neat, did you use a mandrel?  Did you make the metal parts?

Thanks for the complement.
Yes I used a mandrel I made myself from a 3/8" stainless steel bolt, a couple nuts and washer.
I purchased the stopper part from Rockler.
(12-22-2016, 06:59 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: I posted a few of mine up in the woodworking forum, along with a cutting board, if you want to take a look. Maybe some inspiration. My kids designed them.

I saw yours in your post. They are nice.
Your kids have a good eye for design.

I want to make some laminated versions next.
They look great, especially for the first time.   Takes a while to get the hang of it but in terms of shapes, you're imagination is the only limit.
        Couple of recommendations.  1) Buy the bases direct from Ruth Niles. See her selection at  nilesbottlestoppers.com then call her  1-717-486-5253.  Prices are better than Rockler and she ships the same day.  Takes Rockler forever to process and ship an order.     2)  For a finish,  use General Finishes  "Wood Turner's Finish",  a water based clear finish which dries quickly, is thin and won't streak, and provides a hard durable finish.  I apply three coats sanding lightly between coats .   The first coat is absorbed by the wood raises the grain so back on the lathe it goes.  Depending on how rough the surface is, I use 350/400 grit followed by 1500 grit mesh.  2nd and 3rd coats only require 600 grit then 1500 mesh.  The end result is a baby butt smooth tough finish.   3)  For turning blanks, look at Packardwoodworks.com .  --- in NC.    They have a great selection and same day shipping.  Super  folks.
       Cheers and Merry Christmas.
look great
Cool
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Those are nice.

It would be neat to have the handle made into a shot glass for taste testing- that swirly and twirly, sip and breathe in  thing wine drinkers do.
 We visited a wine makers place (I don't even drink) and they gave us a tiny glass of wine to try- I just swallowed it. You should have seen the stares and silence that followed. Obviously I didn't read the instructions. 

Wasn't that fancy of a place anyway-  darn place didn't have any coffee what-so-ever!
Smirk  

Laugh
Laugh