miter saw in a stand or in a built in miter bench
Mongo

If you go with a bench use Handi"s which was featured in a magazine and it was the cats meow.
Yes

O and now that I scroll to the bottom I seen he posted it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That's kinda low. Mine is up higher, don't have to stoup over to see to align blade to cut.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-29-2016, 01:17 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: That's kinda low. Mine is up higher, don't have to stoup over to see to align blade to cut.

The plans raise the cut shelf 2" from the prototype shown because it was a touch low. And since you build it yourself, you can even raise it more if you like. 

But I am 6' tall, use it daily and have never wished it higher.
A foreman is a kreg pocket hole machine that is benchtop size.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

For shop use, I prefer placing it on a cabinet or bench top with drawers or cabinets underneath. A stand takes up too much room without any compensating storage area.  If I took it to jobsites, I believe I would prefer a portable stand.
I have my scms (makita 1016) on a gravity rise stand.

I keep the stand stored in transport mode underneath my lumber rack shelves.
I normally use the saw out on my driveway due to the dust.
The space is also good -- can slide boards to either side to trim off ends.
The SCMS gets used more for home projects (long 2x boards or trim)

I do most of my finishing crosscuts on a table saw with sled.
(rough cuts to break boards down to size are often done with crosscut handsaw)

If I had space for a permanent installation, I'd look at something like Chris Gochnours Stack and Saw.
  - placing beneath lumber is attractive for breakdown
  - I think having a fence with stops would be good for finishing cuts
  - SCMS + rear funnel for dust collection would tend to take a lot of space

Matt
[Image: th_IMG_0460.jpg] This is what evolved over the years in my shop.
Think mobility!

My BOSCH 12" Glide Saw is mounted on a mobile base. Stored in a shop corner and when needed, I roll it out. Sometimes I need it at the assembly table, other times by the work bench or the TS. In nice weather, it is often by the open overhead shop door to spew the dust outside.
Mine is on a shelf on a row of cabinets. I have about 12' to the left of the blade, and about 3' to the right to support boards. If I need longer support to the right I use a roller stand for support.

Two star knobs keep it attached to the shelf so I can take it out easily enough although it almost never leaves the shop.

When outside I use the frame from a gas grill. The grill part went in the trash years ago, I just use the cart part.

I think one advantage of a bench mount option is you can have better dust collection than on a stand. I have a hood that catches dust, helped by a port in the hood to a shop vac that creates suction to pull the dust into the hood. Without the shop vac the dust spews everywhere. Not perfect but better than just using the dust collection adapter usually behind the blade on most miter saws.

Mike
The stand is important if you routinely take a miter saw on the road, as in contractor.

Beyond that I look at tools 2 different ways. As space users, IE in the middle of the shop. OR wall space users, where they take up wall space, which must be shared with many things, mostly storage, maybe a bench or 4, and some horizontal space to do STUFF. Being it folds up, you could hang the stand on the wall, maybe above other stuff on the wall, but then where does the chopper go??? I imagine if your shop is pretty regular it'll go along a wall, under a bench, or something. If the only place it fits is ON the BENCH, well there you go.
Big Grin

Keep it a few months, Once Spring comes all the newbie contractors will be falling down to buy it from you for a few $$$$$ more than you paid for it. Or you will have fallen in love with it
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW