First Turning
Since high school some 40 odd years ago.
I picked up an old school model Atlas 12" lathe last year.
Got a couple chisels but didn't really do anything till I got a chuck.
Finally got one for Christmas so here we go.

A chunk of leftover red oak I had been saving for this purpose.

[Image: IMG_1938_zpszxnxmcn8.jpg]

and turned it into a bowl in a hour or so

[Image: IMG_1947_zpsurfmmcol.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1949_zpsl9mlvyro.jpg]

I didn't remove the flange for the chuck because I have a bunch to learn and was a but nervous.
For The Love Of Wood
I destroyed the picture I had of my first turning.

You need not do the same- that is a good job!
Thats a nice looking bowl.
The rings on the side are a nice accent.
You did a swell job of it.  Just think of what you will be doing in 5 years from now.  Maybe segmented work or Art kind of turning or even just making nice bowls like the one you made there.
Yes

The grain is really nice in it too.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks guys.
The rings are a bit rough and the sanding was difficult
I will try harden on the next one but I'm pretty happy with the first...a good learner.
Now I need to learn sharpening of tools
For The Love Of Wood
Great first bowl!  You may want to attempt a jam chuck and turn off the foot, or, alternatively, saw off the foot using a Japanese saw and then carve or sand the bottom smooth.  Be sure to sign and date your work.  It only gets better from here!

Welcome to the turning vortex.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
As Alan said, welcome to the world of turning. Sharpening is very important and you will find it is easier to turn with sharp tools. Very nice looking bowl.Also as Alan said sign and date it, years from now you will see how much you have improved. Hope you have a good face shield,safety first. Congrats on the bowl.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
If we knew what city and state you were in we could send you to a close AAW club.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
As others have said, that is an excellent first bowl. Also, you got it done a lot faster than most of us did on our first one. Good job!

To add to Arlin's suggestion, here is a link to the locator page for the
AAW clubs

Welcome back to the vortex.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thanks guys.
Part of the reason I was scared to go further was I had a dig in when hollowing and it almost came out of the chuck.
I went right out a bought a face shield..gotta love HD gift cards for Christmas.
I do a lot of flat work and everything gets signed and dated, round stuff will be the same.

Can't wait to have time for the next one.
For The Love Of Wood