Lie Nielsen #9 1/2 block plane
The small low angle block plane from LN is still available in bronze. Only the iron version was dropped from the line.
Oh, thanks!  I didn't realize.  I'd wanted the iron one, but I guess the bronze one is a good substitute.
I've found a few used #9 1/2s, but only one #60 1/2. A couple of Stanleys, a Craftsman and a No-Name. The #9 1/2s  have had some problems. The bedding area is short and the cam cap doesn't even reach the bedding area.  The blade adjustment pawls don't allow the blade to rest on the rear post. To make them more usable , I use a small diamond file to deepen the teeth, so the blade will rest on the post. I then clean/file the throat plate so it adjusts easier. The first plane I flattened with a 6x48 sander was a #9 1/2, it worked well, so that's how I do it now. I then hand polish up to 400grit on a granite. To get around the bedding and clamping issues I use a thicker LV iron. In Lenard Lee's book on sharpening, he shows a picture compassion between a Stanley and a Record. If you can, find a Record . If you do all that to Record, you'll end up with a block plane almost as good as a new LV.
A man of foolish pursuits
(01-09-2017, 10:28 AM)DCottrell Wrote: I already have one.  I like it a lot and...
I may be wrong about this, but my recollection is when I bought my block planes back in 2004-06 timeframe, they were both listed as LN 9 1/2, distinguished as a standard angle and a low angle?
Anyway, I have one of each and I love them both. As much as I said I hate my LN spokeshaves, I love my LN block planes.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Just went out to the garage and saw that my LN block planes are apparently the 102 and 103. Y'all carry on discussing the 9 1/2 without the dumb guy. 
Upset
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
(01-09-2017, 10:28 AM)DCottrell Wrote: I already have one.  I like it a lot and use it mostly for thinning string bass and cello bridge blanks.  These are quarter sawn hard maple and need to be shaped and thinned about 30-50% before final fitting.  I sometimes experience tearout on less than perfect blanks and was looking for a second 9 1/2 to try a toothed blade for gross material removal and have the first one ready to go for final smoothing.  I have a newish Stanley 60 1/2 which, for some reason, does not work as well for this job.  I have not tried a secondary bevel on the Stanley, mostly because I do like to keep that one low for cross-grain work, which I do frequently.

I have thought about a skewed plane for this job, but skewing my 9 1/2 does not seem to make a difference when tearout occurs. Some of these bridge blanks have pretty strange properties, and the thinning process moves across the grain in a radiating direction, if that makes sense.  I am not planing a flat straight surface, but rather a curved, tapered shape. 

This is what I do for a living and never regret getting quality tools.  I also have an ECE (high angle) block plane, but that one is hit and miss on the effectiveness scale, being a fussy and not very tight setup.  I find it works well 20% of the time and poorly the rest, so I have reached for it less and less.

I might try the standard angle Veritas block which has a toothed blade available.  I was just surprised that the 9 1/2 was no longer on the LN website.  I have until the next LV free shipping sale to decide!
DCottrell
Very interesting story. Have you called LN customer service? I'll bet they can find one or without too much trouble make one, since they make their own stuff. If they agree, let me know. I would buy one. Bill
I asked LN if the blades for their 60 1/2 would fit their 9 1/2 and the reply just came back affirmative.  I'll get a toothed version of one of these and see how it works.  If it is too much bother to switch blades for every bridge, I'll see if I can use the Stanley 60 1/2 on the toothed surface without tearout.  Otherwise, the final step would be to spring for a second standard angle block, like the Veritas.  That way, I can have rough and smooth tools ready to go and also keep the 60 1/2 aside for the jobs it is best at.

Thanks for everyone's interest
Dave
At the moment, I have three No. 9-1/2 planes......all Stanleys.   Including a type 2.    There is also the 9-1/4 sitting beside them.   I like the 60-1/2 better, and also used the Millers Falls No. 56B. 
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
If anyone needs, a LN 9 1/2 just popped up on the BIN on Ebay.  

No affiliation with the link, I just saw it and make me think of this thread.
I checked the old paper catalogs I still have from LN for history of eliminating some of the block planes with “standard” 20º bedding angles.  Both the 9-1/2 and the 103,  20º-bedded planes, were last offered in the 2013 catalog, along with the corresponding 12º-bedded 60-1/2 and 102 planes,  

In the 2015-2016 catalog, LN explains that the 20º-bedded versions were being eliminated from the catalog because higher cutting angles can be achieved with the 12º-bedded versions simply by honing a higher secondary bevel, exactly as Derek said.  

LN also says in that 2015-2016 catalog that while the 20º-bedded versions were being eliminated from the paper catalog, they would continue to be offered on the website.  This was temporary, presumably until the old stock was gone, because the 2016 paper catalog no longer says anything about offering the 20º-bedded versions on the website.  And, in fact, they’re no longer on the website.

As far as I can see the only block planes LN continues to offer with 20º bedding are the 101 “Violin Maker’s Plane” and 100-1/2 “Convex Sole Block Plane.”  These small planes were never offered with 12º bedding as far as I can see.  It may be difficult or impossible to produce them with lower bedding angles.  

I use an LN 60-1/2 regularly and keep an extra blade honed at higher angle for when I encounter tear-out situations.  I also have a toothed blade for removing lots of material prone to tear out, but usually have to finish such a piece with the straight blade honed at higher angle.