Live Oak Live Edge Metal Base Desk
(01-20-2017, 02:06 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: Are you familiar with Live Oak?

no?
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Live oak is a wonderful wood, very much under rated IMO.  It's the predominant species in the Texas Hill Country where I live.  It's very hard, and often has great figure.  The grain often looks like interwoven ropes.

[Image: IMG_3537.jpg]

The trees are wonderful, with branches that can stretch over 6 or 8 houses in some neighborhoods, and the branches are often spread out sideways.
We've got live oak all over the place down here, but no one cuts it commercially. I'm just waiting for one to come down in the neighborhood so I can get some.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Don't they tend to be runt trees with a lot more span than height, bent and twisted branches, smaller boles? Up here when I think Oak I think tall massive towering, down there I see more of what a lot of people call scrub, when I asked more about that I was told they were "live Oak"

"There is universal agreement that all oaks belong to the genus Quercus of the family Fagaceae but beyond that there are differing reports on the breakdown. The most common seems to be this:

Leucobalanus, the white oaks, are further subdivided into live oaks, chestnut oaks and the rest of the white oaks.

Erythrobalanus, the red oaks, are further subdivided into the live oaks and the rest of the red oaks.

Live oaks are oaks that keep their leaves year-round and which otherwise come from both the red oak and the white oak groups."

Sounds like being live doesn't rule out also being a red, or a white, just keeps it's leaves.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW