My brain hurts.
I took on the task of building what I thought was going to be a simple miniature lighthouse.   It has fought me all the way from the bottom to the top of the lighthouse and now I'm stumped.  I'm trying to make the roof for the upper portion of the lighthouse in a hexagon shape with a slope to the roof.  The only critical dimension on the six pieces that will make the roof is from the peak to the end of the overhang has to be roughly 2 1/2".

I thought I was pretty good at geometry in school but that was nearly 40 years ago. 
Big Grin   I'm about to go find an 8th grader to get me straight on how to figure out the angles.  
Big Grin

Can anyone here point me in the right direction?  Thanks in advance.

It is a compound angle cut. Tilt blade as well as angle miter guage. 

This may help

www.jansson.us/jcompound.html#npyramid
John T.
Thank you John....I would have never figured out the angles.  I kept cutting test pieces and finally threw in the towel this morning.
(03-04-2017, 06:29 PM)Duane N Wrote: Thank you John....I would have never figured out the angles.  I kept cutting test pieces and finally threw in the towel this morning.

I just gotta say this, when you get frustrated with test cuts on power tools, just remember to be safe.
Backing off is a good idea.
Ag
Good advice Ag but I wasn't and won't use a miter saw or table saw for the cuts.  I made a make-shift miter box out of scrap plywood each time I tried different miters.  The pieces are too small to use any type of power tool...most of the lighthouse was cut by hand.
(03-04-2017, 07:45 PM)Duane N Wrote: Good advice Ag but I wasn't and won't use a miter saw or table saw for the cuts.  I made a make-shift miter box out of scrap plywood each time I tried different miters.  The pieces are too small to use any type of power tool...most of the lighthouse was cut by hand.

Just need to make jigs when working with small pieces. Clamps and double stick tape work wonders.
John T.
(03-04-2017, 11:52 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Just need to make jigs when working with small pieces. Clamps and double stick tape work wonders.

Exactly.....I'm happy to have all 10 digits to this point so doing it by hand is best and using a jig makes it safer.  It's very therapeutic as well doing it by hand.

You brainiacs are amazing what with the compound angles and all. I just never go there. Visiting the answer website made MY brain hurt.

Nice lighthouse!
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Now that you have it all together I think you have to take it all apart you forgot the light.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Big Grin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-05-2017, 01:42 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Now that you have it all together I think you have to take it all apart you forgot the light.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Big Grin

Haha.....everyone keeps asking me where's the light and the stairs.  I reply with the stairs are inside you just can't see them (
Big Grin  ).  I haven't come up with something yet to say about the light yet.
Confused
Big Grin