bookcase plans
[Image: 11fe3c6786857c168d0db3b8a5bd7210.jpg]

Anyone have plans to build this bookcase, or any construction suggestions

For rectangular boxes,I would use finger joints. Not sure how to construct the trapezoidal boxes.
Would half lap joints have sufficent strength?

I've not seen plans for such a thing but it wouldn't be difficult for me to develop them. If you don't find them already done somewhere, send me a PM and I'll work it out for you.
Designing that with Sketchup would be surprisingly easy. I've seen simple methods for angled dovetails cut by hand; I imagine there are methods for box joints, too.
Semper fi,
Brad

(04-11-2017, 12:05 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Designing that with Sketchup would be surprisingly easy.

Yes. It would be. I'm almost finished doing it now.
Wink

[Image: 33165958753_9c388ec3e6.jpg]
Joinery appears to be box joints on the corners. Could be loose tenons elsewhere. I don't have time to do the joinery at the moment.
Looking at the upper left corner, after magnifying the image, those are either DT's or very large box joints. Looks like loose tenons (or through tenons) on the non-edge pieces.
Semper fi,
Brad

How would you create half laps here? I don't think they're used or would be sufficiently strong.
Semper fi,
Brad

(04-11-2017, 01:26 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Looking at the upper left corner, after magnifying the image, those are either DT's or very large box joints.  Looks like loose tenons (or through tenons) on the non-edge pieces.

Yes, I think box joints.

Quote:How would you create half laps here? I don't think they're used or would be sufficiently strong.

I didn't see any half laps. Do you?
Nope. I see the box/DT on the ends and what appear to be loose/through tenons otherwise.

Or dowels, maybe.
Semper fi,
Brad

+1 for box joints and loose tenons.
Cute bookcase. My Grand Niece, is that even a relationship? Sisters Granddaughter is away at College, asked me for a bookcase. I have between 2 and 3' width, and floor to ceiling as a limiter, should be easy.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW