Elmer's to the rescue
I was watching an episode of "Cars that Rock" on Velocity.  They were going over the history of  Rolls Royce.

In once scene they were showing a craftsman (a woman, actually) repairing a piece of wood that would be used for the dashboard of a car.  She had cut a sliver of  wood and was fitting it to the body of the wood to repair a void.  She was holding a small squeeze bottle of adhesive and it was clearly Elmer's glue to  affix the sliver in place.  When it was dry she was shown sanding it smooth to the surface of the wood.  

I'm sure that her repair was invisible when finished.   I was surprised that they were using such a low tech adhesive.

I went on line to see if Elmer's sold any industrial glues were packaged in that very small squeeze bottle and I could find none.  

You'd think that Rolls Royce would be using a more sophisticated adhesive (or even a better quality one).  Maybe it is chosen because it dries clear?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
white PVA may well be the salvation and solution to many restoration workers. 

it is poo pah'ed by many but the advantage is the short open time the quick grab and the ability to sand clean in short order
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I have also read (no experience) that Elmer's white glue flexes and moves more easily than yellow glue.

Given all the flexing auto components can experience that might be a factor as well.
I'm sure it is a perfectly satisfactory product for this application.  But how many Woodnet members still use white glue?  It seemed so low tech.
(05-16-2017, 03:47 PM)Cooler Wrote: I'm sure it is a perfectly satisfactory product for this application.  But how many Woodnet members still use white glue?  It seemed so low tech.

I still use in for certain projects. 

It is great for laying a base adhesive coat on veneer to heat set the veneer to a substrate.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I have used it before and like it for the things I use it for.  2/3s the time I use Titebond original but the other times I use Elmer's which is very easy to work with.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-16-2017, 03:47 PM)Cooler Wrote: I'm sure it is a perfectly satisfactory product for this application.  But how many Woodnet members still use white glue?  It seemed so low tech.

Frank Klausz only uses Elmers white Roy Underhill has called him the best woodworker in America. If you have ever talked to Frank you may wonder about the American part
Big Grin He's Hungarian, transplanted to America, and his English is pretty accented.

Franks Shop.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
There was a local artist that often painted those seasonal scenes on storefront windows similar to the one below.  She used acrylic paints which would scratch off very easily.  To protect the image she would paint over the acrylic with Elmers, which dried clear and shielded the paints.  Back then she said that nothing else worked quite as well and still scraped off with a razor blade.

[Image: b803952efe47f2c8eba26d1029e0b6cf.jpg]
I use liquid hide glue most of the time, but when I use a pva glue it's elmers. If it's good enough for Frank Klaus it's good enough for me. Over the last 30 years I've used most pva glues and none have ever failed, so I use the cheapest.
(05-17-2017, 10:48 PM)Johneone Wrote: Elmer's, If it's good enough for Frank Klaus it's good enough for me.  Over the last 30 years I've used most pva glues and none have ever failed, so I use the cheapest.

Pretty well sums me up, and I do sometimes use hide glue too
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW