Walnut table build
(06-08-2017, 09:32 AM)Dan Jones Wrote: One point.  I believe that GF specifically warns about Sealcoat. 

"Can I use shellac under the Enduro-Var? No, if you need to lock in dye, use only one light coat, dewaxed, 1# cut, and sand before applying for adherence."

I've not really understood what that practically meant.   What are your experiences with topcoating over Sealcoat?

Dan

Dan, I've been using EnduroVar for 6 or 7 years now.  I almost always apply it over SealCoat shellac, and I never sand the SealCoat.  I know GF has that statement on the FAQ's about EnduroVar, but I have never had a problem with it over SealCoat.  And if you look at the SealCoat can it says something like "Universal sealer, compatible under all topcoats ....". 

John
Joker, that looks really good.  I've never had to rub out a WB topcoat because I spray them, but I have tried a paper bag on EnduroVar, I think, and it's pretty easy to scratch it if you rub too hard, especially when the finish is only a few days old.  Enduro Clear Poly is harder than EnduroVar, but I would still be concerned.  So, I would wait at least a week before doing anything.  Then I would try it on the bottom, or a separately prepared sample, to see if it will work w/o leaving visible scratches in raking light.  If it does, I'd try a 3M White ScotchBrite pad.  If that's no better, I'd be inclined to do nothing.  If that's not an option, I'd probably go with the classic 0000 steel wool and wool lube approach, knowing that I'd end up with a satin (not flat) sheen.  If it comes to that, I'd be sure to do it on a sample first to make sure you are OK with the sheen.  It definitely will be silky smooth if you do that.  

John
Yeah, now that it has settled and fully dried, I don't think I'll need to do anything to it afterall.

Thanks again for the help along the way, John. I deliver it next weekend. I'll see if I can get a pic of it in its new home.