On the way to buy some screws....
I  found the ONLY Garage Sale in town...of course, I just had to stop in.......walk and around, and haggle a bit..

$4 handsaws?   When I already have 20+?  $4 hammers?  Meh......found a wide chisel, no price tape on it,,,,,$1?    Sold!

Not just any old, wide chisel...this was "special"....
Uhoh

2" wide......was so good, it had been "Mushroomed" twice..

First one stayed on.   There was even a wooden plug in the end.

Got rid of the mushrooms, reground the curved edge back to a straight line across.    Needed to find a handle for it, since I went and dug out that plug...

I found an old Harbour Freight  lathe chisel......had it "donate" the handle.    Had to form the end to fit in the socket. 

Flattened the back..

Honed the edge to 1K grit, for now.....might just have a Slick for the shop...
Confused

Just a dollar chisel....counting the handle, this is about 19" long.   Might be a keeper?
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Nice save!  My hands down favorite chisel shared the same story.  I found it in a metal bucket kept outdoors with a bunch of other scrap metal.  Mushroomed badly and rusted.  I cleaned it up and a member here turned me a new handle.  After its first use it became hands down my favorite chisel to use.  It's a 1 1/4" firmer chisel but something about that old steel feels great in the hand.  Enjoy!
~ Chris
(05-26-2017, 12:26 AM)bandit571 Wrote: I  found the ONLY Garage Sale in town...of course, I just had to stop in.......walk and around, and haggle a bit..

$4 handsaws?   When I already have 20+?  $4 hammers?  Meh......found a wide chisel, no price tape on it,,,,,$1?    Sold!

Not just any old, wide chisel...this was "special"....
Uhoh

2" wide......was so good, it had been "Mushroomed" twice..

First one stayed on.   There was even a wooden plug in the end.

Got rid of the mushrooms, reground the curved edge back to a straight line across.    Needed to find a handle for it, since I went and dug out that plug...

I found an old Harbour Freight  lathe chisel......had it "donate" the handle.    Had to form the end to fit in the socket. 

Flattened the back..

Honed the edge to 1K grit, for now.....might just have a Slick for the shop...
Confused

Just a dollar chisel....counting the handle, this is about 19" long.   Might be a keeper?
Rolleyes
That missing handle and mushroomed socket is the reason God invented Epoxy...Glue 'em in and foget about it !!!!! Help stamp out orphaned chisels!!!!
Wink
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

CAUTION!!!

Chisel salvaging vortex dead ahead!

It is possible that you find yourself accumulating large batches of cheap chisels to assemble not one but two complete sets of fine old steel with newly turned handles. No woodworking will be accomplished during this period of very satisfying rehab work. Building a chisel rack will become a priority. DAMHIKT

[Image: thewholegroup.jpg]

ps - Jack is right about epoxy and shortened sockets
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
I hate your guts. I've been to oodles and boodles of flea markets around NW Arkansas and STILL haven't found ONE rusted slick. You guys in the north west and north east just suck for having such good luck.

Grrrrrrrrr..........
I also find that chisel accumulating can become a problem. They can be cheap, and neat way to get some lathe time and empty out the scrap bin. I also look for nice wide leather belts at garage sales to use for the "padding" on the handles. It's kind of fun coming up with handle designs, and I've had some that just didn't work out and become fire wood. Then there is all of that sharpening to be done!
That's slick. But when do we get to see those screws? Or did you forget in all the excitement? (That's how I always exhibit my senior status.)
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
(05-26-2017, 12:09 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: CAUTION!!!

Chisel salvaging vortex dead ahead!

It is possible that you find yourself accumulating large batches of cheap chisels to assemble not one but two complete sets of fine old steel with newly turned handles. No woodworking will be accomplished during this period of very satisfying rehab work. Building a chisel rack will become a priority. DAMHIKT

[Image: thewholegroup.jpg]

ps - Jack is right about epoxy and shortened sockets

Looks similiar to my stash of Buck chisels that I sold off.

(05-28-2017, 12:19 PM)Jim Waldron Wrote: That's slick.  But when do we get to see those screws?  Or did you forget in all the excitement?  (That's how I always exhibit my senior status.)

Yes. Forgot about his screw problem after finding that slick.
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

So how do you get rid of the mushroom? Cut it off, or re-form so how?
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
I use an old plumbers reamer that works in a brace to round the inside of the socket, then a bench grinder to remove the outside mushroom.  Worth doing if the chisel has life.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis