Shrinking a design?
I know a guy who can help if you need it.
Since I draw everything in my CAD program I would figure the percent of change wanted (example: change overall length from four feet to three feet or 3/4 = 75%) My CAD program allows me to increase or decrease by what ever % I want. I would then reduce all parts to 75% of original and if you wanted to keep the height the same as the original, I would leave out the parts that make up the height (or at least the height portion of the required parts).

Of course there will be some "fine tuning" to do (like with joints) to keep some things with standard dimensions.
There is a fine line between woodworking and insanity - sometimes I am not sure which side of the line I am on.
I generally don't scale because it requires calculating percentages and then refining things like joinery. Increases the amount of work required to make the change correctly.