Best way to cut this?
Google and youtube....

cutting beehive handles

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...ve+handles

cutting beehive handles
I did this on the ts for my beehive boxes.

Install your dadoes in your ts

Drop the blade, put box over blade then rotate it up (in my case it was 8 revolutions)

(Clamp a stop block to your fence so they all start centered on your boxes).

Then, bump your fence over a bit (so that the hand hold is approx 1" wide) lower the blades and repeat the process.

I did this technique for about 15 boxes (broods and supers) I made.

Because the sides are different lengths from the front of your boxes, you'll need to adjust your stopblock, if you want hand holds on all 4 sides.

Pm me if what I wrote doesn't make sense
Dumber than I appear
You could use a 5" hole saw and cut the angle using a jig, then glue the end strip on to complete it.  
Raised

[Image: bee_board.jpg][/img]

??
(08-16-2017, 03:58 PM)daddo Wrote: You could use a 5" hole saw and cut the angle using a jig, then glue the end strip on to complete it.  
Raised

[Image: bee_board.jpg][/img]

??

After looking at the you tube vids for using a saw, knowing what cutters were out there for a router it is either this, but I think it would need to be an 8" plus hole saw, or a shaper knife that was custom made. Only problem I have with this way is there is something to keep the hole saw from skittering off course. They aren't made for drilling down, and only partially cutting something. They want to make a "hole" not a scratch. A lot of the TS, and hand saw methods would provide a "ditch" theirs are only a smallish scoop rather than the big handle like in Coolers pic, which is what I have seen most often around here.

With no guard over the blade, and only how much you move a piece of ply sliding between 2 ply runners, I get the willies watching the first u tube vid on how too. Sure not gonna offer a safety hall of fame recommendation on it.

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I was going to suggest that way but was criticized once for suggesting side cutting on the TS once.
Big Grin
4-6 weeks ago over on the TSP forum, there was a guy that lost 2 fingers doing the bee box handle cut. Table saw with dado blade.

We have bees. Come time to make some boxes, I imagine I'll just put straps on the boxes.
Easy/cheap/safe
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I've never been within 100' of a beehive and have no aspirations to change now.

But, here is a video of making the d-handles with a grinding burr on a drill press. Drill press/burr

Link to a post in a beekeeping forum about it's use Here. The thread is old but there are recent responses to it, including from the burr supplier from July 2016.
(08-16-2017, 10:13 AM)BeeMan Wrote: Hello,

I want to cut a recessed handhold into a board and need to repeat the cut many times.
These handholds are used on beehive boxes and are on each side, so there are 4 per box, and I want to make a couple hundred such boxes. So I would like to make the cut in a single step.

I attached a drawing of what I am trying to cut.

Thanks
Moe
Jig up a chop saw with a small stacked dado blade set.

With a little machine shop work, you could modify a milling machine cutter...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Probably one of those things where you wished you had a CNC (or a friend with one).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks all. My phone died right after I posted this.
I'm going to give a cheap bowl bit a try, to see the results.