pergola support
I emailed the manufacturer and they claim no problems with trapping water on the bottom of the post. They also suggested using some silicon caulk around the bottom if I was worried about it. So is all the fervor about raising the post up just hype to sell "new and improved" brackets? I like the three sided design and agree the lip on the fourth side probably helps stabilize the bottom of the post. But am I trading off faster times to rot for that stability?
(10-05-2017, 06:44 AM)Bope Wrote: So is all the fervor about raising the post up just hype to sell "new and improved" brackets? I like the three sided design and agree the lip on the fourth side probably helps stabilize the bottom of the post. But am I trading off faster times to rot for that stability?

Not hype, it's a building code requirement. A standoff provides the required 1-inch separation between the end of an untreated wooden post and the concrete patio. Since you are planning to use PT posts, you do not need to use standoffs. If you cut or drill the bottom of a post, it needs to be treated with an appropriate preservative. For added protection against rot, you can use a standoff with a PT post.

If you decide to use standoffs, Simpson makes the plastic standoff linked below. It is attached to the bottom of the post with four 10d common hot-dipped galvanized nails and would fit into the three-sided base you are planning to use.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Stron...mpson+cps4