Woodgears.ca power feeder
(09-21-2017, 12:37 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Question:  this thread has got me thinking (a very dangerous thing) about placing a power feeder on my table saw (I have two cabinet saws-Unisaw and a Shopfox top end).  Where should the feeder be placed for ripping operations (in front of or behind the blade) and would one of the "baby" feeders (all look like, but labeled Delta, Grizzly, Cometic, etc.) be sufficient for ripping operations.

I prefer two wheels on the infeed ( to hold stock down going into the saw and one wheel out (again this is about pressure on the infeed and eliminating the potential for kickback. and holding the stock firmly to the table no matter how long it is

With a baby feeder though you may have to have one wheel infeed, one outfeed, and one in the middle of the blade, there is not a lot of room between the wheels

The arm goes to the back opposite the fence (usually left) if you have enough reach; if not you have to find the spot that the feeder gives you the most rip capacity reaching over the fence ( Which again on a BF is not going to be much but should be at least 3-4"  if in line with the blade )   or over the blade ( this means you have to take more care in setup locking all pivot adjustments securely, I do not recommend it with a BF)

The single biggest issue here is the smallish size of the BF including the limitations of the arms  by design
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks Joe - I may look for a used, full sized power feeder versus the baby feeder.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-21-2017, 02:03 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Thanks Joe - I may look for a used, full sized power feeder versus the baby feeder.

that is probably a good idea
Smile
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-21-2017, 12:37 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Question:  this thread has got me thinking (a very dangerous thing) about placing a power feeder on my table saw (I have two cabinet saws-Unisaw and a Shopfox top end).  Where should the feeder be placed for ripping operations (in front of or behind the blade) and would one of the "baby" feeders (all look like, but labeled Delta, Grizzly, Cometic, etc.) be sufficient for ripping operations.

The bigger feeders are better for ripping, because the arms are longer. My Holz Herr feeder with a Beisemeyer fence can rip 14 5/8" wide. I don't remember what the little Delta feeder can rip. Mostly I use it to run rabbets on a table saw. The Holz Herr sits on a rip saw, and moves to a shaper once in a while.

Set up time for ripping with a feeder is 20 seconds. The wheels stay over the blade. Locating the base in line with the saw arbor allows one to extend and retract the feeder head in line with the saw arbor, meaning no new set ups for different width boards. All that I adjust is height. Ripping real narrow stuff, like 1 1/4" to 3/8" wide, requires moving the wheels sideways. Finally, I like the feeder base on the right of the blade, so that I can stand on the left side of the saw and feed pieces continuously. Having a feeder post in my face would be awkward. 

The bigger feeder can accept the crevice tool from a (remote, outdoors) shop vac between the first and second roller. This is the best dust collector for off the top of the blade spray that I have found. The wheel cover will need some trimming.

Moving the bigger feeder isn't hard, with a cart that is as high as the machine bed. Swivel the rollers onto the cat, lower them, and the raise the unbolted post and swivel that. Clamp the base, or wear steel towed shoes.
(09-21-2017, 02:03 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Thanks Joe - I may look for a used, full sized power feeder versus the baby feeder.

Hi Tony

Not sure if the guy selling the SteffMagi would ship but that could be considered a great deal.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-21-2017, 07:44 PM)Steve N Wrote: Hi Tony

Not sure if the guy selling the SteffMagi would ship but that could be considered a great deal.

Some interesting stuff there! I do have a Holzer feeder on my Delta shaper, and I just may use it for duty on both machines.

I got the feeder at a used equipment dealer in Cleveland, with the Delta Heavy Duty shaper or $350.00. But, first, both feeder and shaper are three phase (which I have), feeder needed wheels and shaper spindle lock needed rebuilt. I hauled it on my own truck. With gas, repairs, etc., I got maybe $600 total invested.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-21-2017, 07:44 PM)Steve N Wrote: Hi Tony

Some interesting stuff there! I do have a Holzer feeder on my Delta shaper, and I just may use it for duty on both machines.

I got the feeder at a used equipment dealer in Cleveland, with the Delta Heavy Duty shaper or $350.00. But, first, both feeder and shaper are three phase (which I have), feeder needed wheels and shaper spindle lock needed rebuilt. I hauled it on my own truck. With gas, repairs, etc., I got maybe $600 total invested.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-22-2017, 04:11 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Some interesting stuff there!

(09-22-2017, 04:15 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Some interesting stuff there! 

You can say that again...
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I think I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'm not sure I understand JGrout's et al's argument.  For the people who would make a power feeder for themselves, it would be used in place of hand feeding and not as a replacement of a commercial model (which is clearly superior to the DIY version, hence the hundreds of dollars cost). You should be comparing it to hand feeding rather than the commercial version, no?

All things being equal (assuming presence of a riving knife or splitter/pawls), how would this increase the likelihood of kickback? That steel shaft and spring probably push the board down/against the fence harder than I would by hand. 

If it did happen to kickback, with the power feeder you can stand (more) clear of where the projectile would probably launch. 

You don't have to put your hands (or push sticks) anywhere near the blade. 

If the wheel doesn't grip enough and slips, the board will just remain stationary and the saw can be turned off and the board removed. 

If the battery dies, the board will just remain stationary, and saw can just be turned off and the board removed. You can also just replace the battery every once in a while if battery life is even a problem.  

Am I wrong here? Should I just stop doing any work on my table saw or router until I can buy a power feeder?
Here's the follow up where he shows detailed construction instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPiaduBZHRU