Woodgears.ca power feeder
(09-18-2017, 08:07 PM)DrNewton Wrote: Anyone that calls Matthias a flake has lost all credibility.

However if you do want to demonstrate his safety record, he did cut his thumb a few weeks ago reaching over a running blade to shut off his dust collector.  He subsequently made a video about it and the changes he made to his shop setup to prevent it from happening again.

Yeah, I figured we'd be seeing a guard after that.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(09-18-2017, 08:07 PM)DrNewton Wrote: Anyone that calls Matthias a flake has lost all credibility.

However if you do want to demonstrate his safety record, he did cut his thumb a few weeks ago reaching over a running blade to shut off his dust collector.  He subsequently made a video about it and the changes he made to his shop setup to prevent it from happening again.

So this guy cuts himself then he makes changes in his shop after  the fact to prevent something bad  from happening again and you are defending his actions as an improvement 

Ever thought about the fact that if he had been proactive instead of reactive he would have never even needed to show us how he rectified the issue 

Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused

Wow as in just wow 

And you calling me out for losing all credibility 

You sir need to spend some time accessing your priorities about what is really important in a WW shop
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Wandel is definitely a brilliant and creative woodworker.

Most of his tinkering and machine builds wouldn't be Osha approved, and probably shouldn't be used in a commercial shop.

I do like to see his creativity and am glad that he doesn't go hide it just because it hasn't been person proofed.

If you do stupid stuff it will eventually hurt, I can personally say I have both witnessed and participated in stupidity and have the scars to show for it.

After looking on google, there are several interesting designs for shop built power feeders, and any of them should be used with caution.

What I do know from reading this thread, is there is going to be one more person on my gump list.
I am an intelligent person that is perfectly capable of deciding what risk I'm willing to accept, and have very little use for the opinion of someone who would argue that wandel shouldn't be making these videos just because somebody 'might' take it for the best way to do things and hurt themselves.

My gump list previously had only thooks on it and that was from so many years ago I don't even recall why.

Duke

Anybody want to tell me how to gump somebody in the new format
(09-19-2017, 10:22 AM)JDuke Wrote: Wandel is definitely a brilliant and creative woodworker.

Most of his tinkering and machine builds wouldn't be Osha approved, and probably shouldn't be used in a commercial shop.

I do like to see his creativity and am glad that he doesn't go hide it just because it hasn't been person proofed.

If you do stupid stuff it will eventually hurt, I can personally say I have both witnessed and participated in stupidity and have the scars to show for it.

After looking on google, there are several interesting designs for shop built power feeders, and any of them should be used with caution.

What I do know from reading this thread, is there is going to be one more person on my gump list.
I am an intelligent person that is perfectly capable of deciding what risk I'm willing to accept, and have very little use for the opinion of someone who would argue that wandel shouldn't be making these videos just because somebody 'might' take it for the best way to do things and hurt themselves.

My gump list previously had only thooks on it and that was from so many years ago I don't even recall why.

Duke

Anybody want to tell me how to gump somebody in the new format

go to my profile, click add to ignore list 

The one thing I can be is helpful and I am sure this helps. 

HAND and please do be careful with what you *think* is brilliant, it is a fools path.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Jgrout, it saddens me to see what was once such a friendly forum, turn into one where you assume my ability to think makes me a fool if I don't agree with you.
(09-19-2017, 12:11 PM)JDuke Wrote: Jgrout, it saddens me to see what was once such a friendly forum, turn into one where you assume my ability to think makes me a fool if I don't agree with you.

It saddens me more that you cannot seem to understand the danger and liability to promoting a place or site that is fraught with bad dangerous and poorly thought out "solutions"

Friendly is nice for knitters; gloves have to be off for more dangerous activities

So what would you call him?  Brilliant doesn't come to my mind when he decides to install a guard only after he gets hurt.  Thankfully, he wasn't seriously hurt.  

His accident should be a wake up call that accidents happen that easily could have been avoided by using the safety devices that all manufacturers supply with their table saws, as should anyone who builds one. 

John
(09-19-2017, 05:59 PM)jteneyck Wrote: So what would you call him?  Brilliant doesn't come to my mind when he decides to install a guard only after he gets hurt.  Thankfully, he wasn't seriously hurt.  

His accident should be a wake up call that accidents happen that easily could have been avoided by using the safety devices that all manufacturers supply with their table saws, as should anyone who builds one. 

John

I don't believe he installed a guard after the accident, either.
(09-19-2017, 06:33 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I don't believe he installed a guard after the accident, either.

Well that says a lot.  

John
(09-19-2017, 07:54 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Well that says a lot.  

John

I knew two different PhD engineers that were avid woodworkers (both passed now).  One of them had a Unisaw that never wore a guard or splitter.  The second was a madman that made the first look like a safety nut.  I'm not aware of either ever having a serious woodworking accident.

It was clear when watching them work, that all their machines were setup for maximum work speed.

A guard or knife may have to come off for sled or non-through cuts.  They were simply unwilling to spend the time.

They both questioned the riving knife on my new saw, telling me it added too much time to blade changes (changing-out to a dado stack).  I said I use the router table for grooves.  "Too slow," one of them said.

It doesn't change the fact that they were both geniuses and if either told me he had a safer way for me to do something, I'd have been all ears.