Router plate?
(09-15-2017, 06:40 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: I an going to build a router table, but am trying to figure out what router plate (to hold the router in the table) to buy. I guess the requirements I have are flat and with inserts to accommodate different size bits (and remain flat). If it matters, I will be mounting a Hitachi MV12VC (if I remember correctly- the 2.23 HP model).

Any suggestions?

Pedro
Check This one Kreg undrilled.

Not that difficult to do.
I've got all Rockler plates. They are 1/4" aluminum
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-17-2017, 09:15 AM)Mike in kc Wrote: I have the original Wood Peckers lift with the old big variable speed PC router, and it's been a flawless combination for I don't know how many years now.   They were the original, and the best, in my book. 

[Image: WoodPeckers-L.jpg]

Same setup - no complaints after 13+ years!

Doug
(09-15-2017, 06:40 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: I an going to build a router table, but am trying to figure out what router plate (to hold the router in the table) to buy. I guess the requirements I have are flat and with inserts to accommodate different size bits (and remain flat). If it matters, I will be mounting a Hitachi MV12VC (if I remember correctly- the 2.23 HP model).

Any suggestions?

Pedro
Hi Pedro

Below is a paste of a post I made on the Australian form. The plate I chose was as basic as they come, but aluminium rather than plastic. The aluminium is flatter and thinner. Thinner is better for above table bit changes. My needs are likely different from yours in that I use a router table very seldom. I am primarily a handtool user, but want the facility of a router table when needed. 

In the course of designing the router table, I completed searches on a number of forums for router table fence builds, and came up empty. As a result, I thought to post the one I have just completed. It may provide some ideas for someone.

I recently purchased a new table saw (Hammer K3 Winner) and, as with the last one, decided to add a router table to the outfeed. Here is where it was fitted ...

[Image: router-space1.jpg]

I can provide details on how the laminate-covered panel was fitted if anyone wants. This is how it ended up (the router table insert from Timbecon) ...

[Image: image.jpg]

This is a very basic design - the router is a 15-year old 2 hp 1/2" GMC with variable speed and soft start that I purchased new for $35 (on a run out). It has been fantastic over the years. Here it is stripped down to basics ...

One recent modification has been the very recent (unused as yet!) addition of a MuscleChuck collet for changes above the table. It uses a hex key - throw away the spanners ..

Incidentally, I have a blank, solid insert as well, and this lives in the table when not in use. Great at keeping the dust out of the router ..

I built the 550mm long fence from an aluminium box, adding a T-rail above and 60mm high sliding faces ..

Here are the parts ...

Inside the box the insides are sealed off with wooden plugs. The rear is opened for dust collection ...

The front with the hold down ...

.. and the rear 50mm dust collection along with clamps to the T runner ...

Hope this helps someone.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(09-22-2017, 08:53 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: [Image: image.jpg]

.. and the rear 50mm dust collection along with clamps to the T runner ...

Ooh, ooh, ooh....

Need some info on the fence!
chris

Any suggestions?

Pedro

I've used a bunch of lighter weight ones, and they can be problematic on big routers. The last one I made I used The Kreg system, love it, and it's almost half what the one Joe mentioned.

I had a big Triton, so I used this one. Not sure why, but it is less $$$$ than many of the others, and at the time it came with the levelers (4 corner), I'd suggest those if they don't come with the plate you get. I suppose you could cut some out of a gasket material, but theirs are quite handy for leveling.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-24-2017, 03:50 PM)this doobes Wrote: Ooh, ooh, ooh....

Need some info on the fence!

Chris, I used a 3" x 2" aluminium box section. Make yours whatever length you prefer. The photos above show the cut-outs at the front and rear for the bit and dust collection, respectively. The T-slide is about 15mm wide and also reinforces the rigidity. The (hard maple) sliding faces are 60mm high. The rear brackets are simply steel L-brackets that screw into the back of the box and connected with T-bolts to the T-slide. 

This was all scraps lying around the shop. It is essentially the same design as I had previously, and I know tha it works well.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I have my Folding Router Table that uses the Rockler FX lift, which I like A LOT. The inserts are swappable with different sizes, but require three small screws to hold them.

I also have a Kreg Table with their plate (no lift) that comes with a set of twist-lock throats plate inserts in various sizes. Use both tables quite a lot, and am happy with both systems.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
This one from Lee Valley is interesting.  http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.as...53&p=50264  I have the older Rockler plates.  I like them after getting the flat ones, some were defective.  Have 2 plates and a FX lift and Rockler top.  I would probably sell the system if I decide to upgrade it.  Since everything is the older style. Dan
I also have Rockler plates. They are 1/4" aluminum.

router plater