P trap losing water
(09-20-2017, 12:31 PM)JGrout Wrote: I wonder if the CI trap is  cracked. That would sure let it empty in two days.

What is a CI trap?
(09-21-2017, 07:26 AM)Overland1 Wrote: What is a CI trap?

Cast Iron.     Roly
(09-20-2017, 11:17 AM)Goatman Wrote: No way a pint of water will evaporate in two days.

Depends on climate and humidity, but in most areas a pint of water will easily evaporate in less than two days.
(09-21-2017, 08:09 AM)geek2me Wrote: Depends on climate and humidity, but in most areas a pint of water will easily evaporate in less than two days.

I have a bottled water on my desk that is a pint. The water at full in the bottle is a little over 6".
 If in 36 hours it were to mostly evaporate, it would lose about  3/16" per hr. (You may check my math).

That does sound possible in very dry conditions. Am I right?  
Raised

I live in Texas where it could take weeks.
Laugh
(09-21-2017, 07:12 AM)Roly Wrote:  How does that work when the water has been shut off for months ?    Roly
Save

If it's been shutoff for months, it probably evaporated.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(09-22-2017, 06:30 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: If it's been shutoff for months, it probably evaporated.
 Original post
A few months back I bought a house to remodel. It was built on a slab in 1982 and was built to HUD specs. The bathtub was no good so I removed it and the P trap (which is cast iron) had been connected using a rubber sleeve. With the tub out of the way I thought I would pour some water down the trap to make sure it drained OK. No problem with it draining, however water only stays in the trap for a day or two. Water has been shut off at the meter for months so there is no siphoning effect taking place. Where is the water going?
 Roly
I sssume the P trap is in the dirt. I would try to dig out around it. I bet you find moisture I. The dirt- a leak in the p trap is what I would be looking for

The suggestion of putting mineral oil in is good for a seldom used drain. Years ago we moved into a new a new retail location. Turned on the a/c and got a good dose of sewer gas. Called the guy that remodeled the place- we found a floor drain right under the furnace bathe blower would evaporate the water in the trap. Some veggie oil solved that problem

(09-23-2017, 02:35 PM)goaliedad Wrote: I sssume the P trap is in the dirt. I would try to dig out around it.

That might be difficult since the OP said the house is built on a slab.
(09-26-2017, 04:30 AM)woodworker2000 Wrote: That might be difficult since the OP said the house is built on a slab.

The area around a bath drain is usually blocked out at least 10" square so that some access is possible. P traps fail on occasion and need replaced 

JME
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-22-2017, 07:22 AM)Roly Wrote:  Original post
A few months back I bought a house to remodel. It was built on a slab in 1982 and was built to HUD specs. The bathtub was no good so I removed it and the P trap (which is cast iron) had been connected using a rubber sleeve. With the tub out of the way I thought I would pour some water down the trap to make sure it drained OK. No problem with it draining, however water only stays in the trap for a day or two. Water has been shut off at the meter for months so there is no siphoning effect taking place. Where is the water going?
 Roly

According to this info, how long the water has been off seems irrelevant.