Step Ladders
Fiberglass step ladder. At least a 300 lb rating ( 375 lb ratings are out there, if you can find one). Bonus points if you get a twin stepladder (that has steps on each side).

And I agree that your step ladder should be 1 foot shorter than the ceilings in your house.

Like this one right here http://www.wernerco.com/us/en/view/Produ...7400/T7406
I've had the cheap purplish colored fiberglass ladder for 18 years or so on top of the truck (I think they changed the color to green for quicker OSHA identity). I think it's 225# rated. Light weight.  I carry myself (198#'s) plus sometimes an extra 40 pounds or better. No problems. The aluminum equal, is used just for painting and away from electrical or hvac work.

I have the 350# fiberglass step in 8 foot.  You wouldn't want this one for basic home use. It's bulky and heavy.

The foldout 13' ladder is a bit heavy, but acts as a step or extension.

If you're an around the house go-getter and under 200 lbs- go 225# green.

If you bang the ladders up a lot and they sit in the weather- go 300# rated red.
Winkgrin
I bought a 17' Little Giant over 30 years ago.  I love it.  When Amazon had a crazy deal on the 22' 3 or 4 years ago, I bought the 22'.  I am not in love with the 22' so much.  It works great as a step ladder, but no so much as an extension ladder, because of the weight and awkwardness of changing the extension height.  I can increase/decrease the extension height of the 17' ladder while it is leaning against the house.  The 22' I find I need to drop for every adjustment.

When used as a step ladder, both are easily adjustable.  With the little giant, one set of legs can be set longer than the other.  This feature is very useful, not only on stairs, but very often outside as well.

Someone mentioned the Werner clone.  Little Giants rungs are welded on, while Werner's are riveted on.  I much prefer Wing's Little Giant.

Did I mention that when collapsed, I can easily slide the 17'er into the back of a Chevette.  Of course I don't have the Chevette any more, but I put the ladder in there many times.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(10-30-2017, 01:53 AM)Lynden Wrote: An 8-foot step ladder is inconvenient to use indoors or at other locations where you have 8-foot ceiling heights. Werner makes a 7-foot step ladder. I have 4-, 6-, 7- and 8-foot ladders. I rarely use the 8-foot ladder. Definitely get fiberglass.

http://www.wernerco.com/us/en/view/Produ...S100/FS107

My wooden one died the other day, and two weekends ago I bought this same Werner in 7'.  I already have an 8' version, it was just too big for certain tasks, and perfect for others, but for general use the 7' is just perfect.  Very satisfied, used it for some ceiling drywall repair, and the 7' working on '9 ceilings was perfect.  Light weight too.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
How does a ladder die?
I've had them lost or stolen and seen some severely abused and busted up falling off a truck or run over, but never had one just die (go bad).
(10-31-2017, 09:50 AM)daddo Wrote: How does a ladder die?
I've had them lost or stolen and seen some severely abused and busted up falling off a truck or run over, but never had one just die (go bad).

Never had one die a natural death, but I've put a couple out of their misery.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I guess paint trays just cost too much anymore to put them on step ladders. I really miss that. My 8' one has a tray, but that's much use for painting in the house.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-31-2017, 09:50 AM)daddo Wrote: How does a ladder die?

In my case, one cross piece detached itself from the leg, and the whole frame just twisted.  Normally I try to fix stuff when it breaks, but this was clearly a case where a decent burial was the only action to take.  I'm not sure, but it might have been 20 years old, and maybe as much as 30.
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
Friends, 

Thanks for many great comments.  I was in the big box store last night.  I looked at a 17' multiladder; I'm attracted to this concept, but it did seem rather heavy.  Right now, I'm leaning toward a 7 ft fiberglass conventional step ladder (thanks to all for the comment about ceiling height).

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(10-31-2017, 11:34 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I guess paint trays just cost too much anymore to put them on step ladders. I really miss that. My 8' one has a tray, but that's much use for painting in the house.

Likely the expense for the paint trays comes from someone trying to stand on it and the aftermath of attorney fools.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe