Box joints on wide, longish boards
I thought you had said it was that chest, and it is a beauty. I think until an experienced woodworker got closer than 4 or 5 feet away most would just think they were DT's. Users, receivers of gifts would just know it looked awesome. You don't really notice the angle of a DT until you are right on it. From a few feet away all you see are the alternating grain patterns, same as here. On that particular case even if they knew that there were no DT's that awesome fiddleback is enough of a look, I sure wouldn't mind it sitting in my house.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
[quote pid='7548575' dateline='1510265287']
Steve N Wrote:I think they make a very nice look on cases, and that most recipients wouldn't know the difference between DT's or Box Joints.

As mentioned earlier, "heirloom" pieces traditionally use dovetail joints. This is not because they look better than box joints, but because they are stronger ... which is why they have lasted so long and the pieces have become heirloom!
Smile

Making dovetails by hand, not machine, is easier when the boards are very long if you are proficient with a hand saw and chisel, as you can angle them as you like ...

Marking and sawing the end of a bench ...

[Image: BuidingaBench4_html_m2ccf9ff0.jpg]

The length of your case, however, is not that long and you can do either method or joint.

I built a similar design, and it used dovetails ..

In progress at the time ...

[Image: Kist_html_5918d84c.jpg]

[Image: Kist.jpg]

One added refinement was a secret drawer ...

[Image: Kist_html_29df4688.jpg]

You can find the build here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/Kist.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

[/quote]
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I have never seen a box joint fail- no matter the age of the piece and am curious if anyone else here has? (Maybe i have now that I think about it in a cigar box or two where glue failed)  This being said, I comprehend thar the mechanical nature of a dovetail has a inherint strength advantage and also find dovetails to have a beauty that finger/box joints do not for me (though proud fingers can be quite nice looking)

Lawrence
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6
and Derek- BEAUTIFUL work!
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6
(11-12-2017, 12:31 AM)TucsonLawrence Wrote: I have never seen a box joint fail- no matter the age of the piece and am curious if anyone else here has?

Yes, My tool box fell over and one corner came apart. I had glued it with Titebond 2 but the joint failed. I re-glued it and drilled down through the pins and put in a bamboo skewer.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
I was at the Apple Store and the seating is made using "box" joints.  It is actually made from 3" x 1.00 (full one inch) boards that are glued up and staggered to create the box joint.  

I was seated long enough to figure out an effective jig to make this.  Think of this:  If a box joint married a butcher block, what would their kids look like?  They'd look like this.  

I figured out several jigs that would work. The best one created an accurate stagger that would need minimal sanding to smooth out the joint.  The stools felt exceptionally robust in structure.

Here is a detailed photo:  
[Image: 2c8e0393-d21d-4a02-ac6d-731a7c724674.jpg]

[Image: Azure-Apple-Store-WTC-04.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.