New main line to my house from the meter
(11-02-2017, 12:48 PM)Axehandle Wrote: Wondering what material pipe to go with.  I have heard copper is not the best in this area because of soil acidity and water mineral content.  I am right next to a salt marsh.

I assume there is nothing wrong with using solvent welded PVC underground since that is standard practice for irrigation systems around here.

I'm going to go with 1" I think.  My water needs are not high.  It is just my wife and I and two dogs.  We have a 40 gallon water heater and it is plenty.  Low water washer and dryer and dishwasher.

Here is the water quality report that is published on the city's website.  I cannot seem to find pH level though.

http://sales8978.wixsite.com/water-quality/savannah-main

I'm in central NC and just went through this.  Replaced 100 feet or so of water line from the meter to the house.  The standard here (at least according to the plumber who did the work) is PEX and thatis what they used.
Rick

What does the health department want you to use.  Ours gives us a choice of 2
Either PEX or heavy poly will work. 1" is likely oversize unless there are other issues. Most residential services are 3/4" unless there are huge irrigation needs.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Where I live you need 1 inch for up to 150 ft and 1.5 inch for longer runs
Thanks for all the insights fellas.  I have a place to start now.

I will be doing this myself. Through a few situations in the last year, I do not trust and actually downright hate contractors lately. From landscapers and tree services to HVAC companies and roofers. If I had the time, I would be doing it all myself.....even the tree work.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
(11-03-2017, 04:13 PM)Axehandle Wrote: Thanks for all the insights fellas.  I have a place to start now.

Through a few situations in the last year, I do not trust and actually downright hate contractors lately. 

Sounds like you live in my region of the country....
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Run three different lines of copper, PVC and Pex.  Then you're covered.
Laugh