Sharpness question
(12-24-2017, 04:51 PM)tnff Wrote: I'd consider getting a couple of better chisels and try your technique on them before anything else.  I'm no where near the expert these guys are, but I've been able to reasonably sharpen my 1990s vintage craftsman and Stanley just as well as the Marples my wife gave me a few years ago.  But my Harbor Freight she gave me, well I don't think you could sharpen them with a laser.  The steel just won't take an edge, it crumbles away when I approach sharpness.  Of course she gave them to me so they stay right there in the tool chest where they'll be safe and not get damaged.

Don't give up on those crumbly edges just yet. Sometimes new chisels have end damage. Pick a day when you have some time to spend. Grind the edge square to the end through at least half of the bevel. Use lots of quenching. Then regrind the bevel and sharpen the chisel. The edge might hold up.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(12-23-2017, 04:11 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: Do our planes need to be that sharp...?

Absolutely.  8K minimum. Try it you'll be amazed. I would also learn to use a leather strop.

If you also learn to sharpen freehand you will have sharper tools and hone more frequently because it fast..........
(12-26-2017, 12:12 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: Absolutely.  8K minimum.  Try it you'll be amazed.  I would also learn to use a leather strop.

If you also learn to sharpen freehand you will have sharper tools and hone more frequently because it fast..........

,,,,,,,,And later on take stropping to a new level on a high speed leather wheel and diamond spray...if the edge dulls too quickly, apply a tiny micro-bevel.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-24-2017, 08:46 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: Tynyyn, don't take this the wrong way.  But, with the right sharpening technique, any chisel, even HF, can pare wood easily.  I am confident that I can sharpen my butter knife in the kitchen to pare wood easily, as could Cosman.  The butter knife, and most likely your HF Chisels, will NOT last long.  potentially just 1 or 2 paring cuts... but when it comes from the stones it will be sharp!

I would look critically at your technique before I would sharpening media.

I agree with your last statement. I bought a set of HF chisels. They are not that bad at taking an edge and seem to hold it ok.

Your first statement is not accurate in my opinion. I have tried to sharpen certain steels and they absolutely will not take a keen edge. One steel that will not take any kind of edge is the pizza cutter blade I have from Papa Murphy's. I tried every trick I could think of and the round stainless steel blade will not take a keen edge. Some of the cheap knifes my mother would bring home from rummage sales were also not capable of taking a keen edge.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(01-02-2018, 09:45 AM)KyleD Wrote: I agree with your last statement. I bought a set of HF chisels. They are not that bad at taking an edge and seem to hold it ok.

Your first statement is not accurate in my opinion. I have tried to sharpen certain steels and they absolutely will not take a keen edge. One steel that will not take any kind of edge is the pizza cutter blade I have from Papa Murphy's. I tried every trick I could think of and the round stainless steel blade will not take a keen edge. Some of the cheap knifes my mother would bring home from rummage sales were also not capable of taking a keen edge.
LIL
Here's a pretty good explanation of steel composition and the ability of various steels to take and hold an edge...notice that A-2 is at the top on the comparison chart with a mark of 15...My pocketknife, a Sog Flash II is rated at 14.5 along with a popular knife steel..440C...Some steels are better than others and some are MUCH better than others, but hardening and tempering of any steel can play an important part in it's overall performance.

https://bladereviews.com/knife-faqs/knife-steels/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset