I'm in the wrong line or work. $3,000 barn wood doors
(01-23-2018, 10:28 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: John, I’m not in the market for any beautifully crafted projects but let me tell you something:  If I were, and having seen the items you build, I’d make it rain for you.

Thanks for the kind words, Phil.  

John
It looks more like pallet wood to me!
Bob
(01-23-2018, 08:10 PM)EdL Wrote: They look out of place in that setting.

Ed

+1.  I agree, Ed.  Don't fit with the decor at all.  They should fire the interior designer that specced those.  But, people pay big bucks for a certain look, and vintage/rustic seems to be in at the moment.

I just built a barn wood coffee table.  Drawbored mortise and tenon joints and cut nails hold it together.  That thing would withstand a hurricane.  Nails cost more than the wood did.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
That door hangar hardware runs about a hunnert bucks a door around here.
That kind of wood is dirt cheap.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-23-2018, 06:59 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I'll be the outlier here:  More power to the contractor for making some do-re-mi, more power to the client for being able to afford them.

Nothing puts a smile on my face more than big cash being spent.

Money makes the world go 'round.  More money makes it go 'round faster.

I think we just witnessed the invention of the Thien Cyclone Cash Separator (patent pending)
Laugh
(01-24-2018, 07:50 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: That door hangar hardware runs about a hunnert bucks a door around here.
That kind of wood is dirt cheap.

I think that has to do with location with regard to the wood
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-23-2018, 08:10 PM)EdL Wrote: They look out of place in that setting.

Ed

They're probably redo the interior in 5 years and toss those in the dumpster.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(01-25-2018, 03:23 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: They're probably redo the interior in 5 years and toss those in the dumpster.

If it takes that long!  I have seen businesses go in spending $100k's on custom woodworking and such and be gone in less than a year.  Following business comes in  clears the space of everything and makes a gym out of it
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-25-2018, 03:42 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Following business comes in  clears the space of everything and makes a gym out of it

And how I'm scoring some free wood recently.  I got a maple workbench top off of one job (I need help lifting it onto sawhorses it's so heavy), some Cherry baseboard that will eventually become boxes (5" X 5/8" thick in various lengths of 4' to 12' long) and another guy and I missed out on some Maple flooring that the general contractor had just pulled up and threw away (it used to be a dance studio that was being converted into office space).  With my line of work I have a few contacts that know I'll take stuff like this off of their hands and it saves them the cost of filling up a dumpster or removing it off of jobsites.
(01-23-2018, 04:19 PM)Duane N Wrote: I was working a job finishing up the air conditioning and I noticed these barn wood doors the general contractor was installing in some of the offices and we got to talking about them.  The customer paid $3,000 per door and 10 were installed in the suite.  The general contractor ordered the barn wood and built them on site.

That looks like Pallet wood.
Yes

All I can say is congrats to the maker and seller for selling it for that price.  To me if someone is willing to pay that much then sell it to them and bragging rights to the buyer. 
Big Grin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.