Segmented Turning Press
(01-27-2018, 08:22 PM)jcredding Wrote: I’ve been wanting to do some segmented turning, so today decided to build a press for gluing up rings.  It was a nice quick project, but now I have no more excuses.

Where did you find the long jack screw? The longest I found was only about 13"...
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
I don't think that the one in the picture has much more travel than that. You can always build up the platform if you needed to.
This jack has 14 inch travel

Attached Files Image(s)

One I made 9 years ago, not only does it press but also lines up the rings and the division between segments . I don't do much segmenting any more. did one last year.
I'm posting it just for idea sharing.
I think yours will work fine

[Image: segmentpress1.jpg]

[Image: segmentpress2.jpg]
[Image: segmentpress3.jpg]
[Image: segmentpress4.jpg]
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(01-31-2018, 10:13 AM)Woodshop Wrote: One I made 9 years ago, not only does it press but also lines up the rings and the division between segments . I don't do much segmenting any more. did one last year.
I'm posting it just for idea sharing.
I think yours will work fine

Did you make the alignment plate of buy it? Looks like it would be helpful.
(01-31-2018, 10:56 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: Did you make the alignment plate of buy it? Looks like it would be helpful.
made it. it's just plexiglass and a sharpie
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(01-28-2018, 07:23 PM)Angus Wrote: Raid the kitchen and take you wifes wax paper, thats what I use.

Angus

I have found that wax paper allows moisture to leak thru and it will rust the medal surface underneath.

Now I use butcher paper and it works great. 
Yes

(01-30-2018, 06:11 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: You can used a bottle jack too

Now that is a really good idea

(01-30-2018, 08:35 PM)Angus Wrote: I prefer the jack method because it puts no rotational force on the glue up. I ended up going with a bearing press because of the size of some of my turnings.

I do to and did not thing of the rotational force on how it might turn the wood.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Here's one I copied off my neighbor a few years ago. A longer screw and a wider base would have made it just about perfect for what I use it for....

[Image: rteYWoR.jpg]

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."

(01-27-2018, 08:22 PM)jcredding Wrote: I’ve been wanting to do some segmented turning, so today decided to build a press for gluing up rings.  It was a nice quick project, but now I have no more excuses.

Here is mine, hole in 4 x4 to center chuck, or use with out.  Base is 2 ~1 1/2 inch base cut from old desk.  Pipe flange on bottom.