Non flammable contact cement
(02-02-2018, 10:38 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I always used 2 coats wen I used the non-stinky, water based stuff.
One coat always failed, two coats did the job

That was my experience also.   Same here on using 2 coats.   Roly
Mine was formica to mdf.....2 heavy coats.

The spray might be worth a try, my kitchen guy had the commericial spray system, over 10 years and no issues.

Ed
Basement is small 25 by 25 ish. ( quad level house ). I picked up the old school stuff. I plan on turning the thermostat up, then turn it down as low as it will go. Water heater will be turned off ahead of time. Once things are done I will run a fan out the walk in door.
The piece is about 5 feet long, 26 inches wide. Too big to do the spray stuff- and I did not want to risk failure with the water based stuff

Thanks all for your input

Way back in the mid 80’s I used 3M water base contact adhesive on my bedroom and kitchen ceilings.  I screwed ½  drywall and then attached 3/8 with the 3M over it.  It still is holding today with no problems.  I bought the stuff from a commercial drywall supplier.
You probably want to make sure you have a carbon filter 1/2 mask to wear when you use that stuff.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I picked up a good mask- glad I did. Laminate is on, the house did not blow up.
I still need to trim it, but the worst is done

(02-03-2018, 05:34 PM)goaliedad Wrote: the house did not blow up.

Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-02-2018, 10:24 PM)peter-m Wrote: Way back in the mid 80’s I used 3M water base contact adhesive on my bedroom and kitchen ceilings.  I screwed ½  drywall and then attached 3/8 with the 3M over it.  It still is holding today with no problems.  I bought the stuff from a commercial drywall supplier.
Like one of the other fellows said. Using two coats is a must on both pieces.  With water base cement these is not the order concern, but I still would have ventilation.
I am totally screwed. I once used spray paint in a basement with a gas water heater and furnace......and I would do it again. I have used spirits based contact cement often in the presence of an open flame while leatherworking. I get the whole I need to take care of my kids and keep myself safe thing but is this an example of much ado about very little?
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Maybe, in my case I went non flammable because I didn't want to the fumes where people were breathing. The explosion hazard with the flammable stuff wasn't the biggest concern. It was more the headaches and dizziness you can get from the fumes.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.