Drilling hardened steel
(04-24-2018, 04:12 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Yup.

There is just a bit of walk.

The only solution that I can think of is a small divot made with a punch of some sort but I don't have a tool that is hard enough to divot this steel.
Or touch it with a Dremel grinding bit, or a cheap knock off from Harbor Freight.

Dremel diamond bits would probably work.

[Image: diamond-bits-1.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-24-2018, 09:38 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Great idea.

What thickness would you recommend for a minimum on the "guide" plate??

I've been using 1/4" scrap material. 3/16 might do it fine though. The hole is always the same as the bit- I use the same bit.

If wandering is still a problem, you might just clamp the two together and drill both at the same time.
(04-25-2018, 09:42 AM)CLETUS Wrote: Carbide ball end mill in a dremel to create the dimple will work. A carbide center drill would be the right tool. You're still limited by the slop in the quill.

Sure,

The quill on my Grizzly drill press has more run out that I would like.
I got the top of the line benchtop model but it still has a fair bit of run out.

The rest of the features are great and I really like this DP but the run out is frustrating.
Peter

My "day job"
(04-25-2018, 11:11 AM)Cooler Wrote: Or touch it with a Dremel grinding bit, or a cheap knock off from Harbor Freight.

Dremel diamond bits would probably work.

[Image: diamond-bits-1.jpg]
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Just a few bucks from HF and they're good enough to put a small dimple in the steel plate.
Peter

My "day job"
(04-25-2018, 11:19 AM)daddo Wrote:  I've been using 1/4" scrap material. 3/16 might do it fine though. The hole is always the same as the bit- I use the same bit.

If wandering is still a problem, you might just clamp the two together and drill both at the same time.

Thanks,

I'll have to check what I have.

I don't have a lot of scrap metal around as I do very little metal working.

This is a bit of a "one off" project
Peter

My "day job"
(04-25-2018, 11:35 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Thanks,

I'll have to check what I have.

I don't have a lot of scrap metal around as I do very little metal working.

This is a bit of a "one off" project
I snagged this set new at a flea market a couple years ago..Haven't found anything they wont drill.......I first saw them at a woodworking show..the guy was drilling holes in old files.....at high speed and no lube.

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Dog-Tools-Pie...drill+bits
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-25-2018, 12:12 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,
I snagged this set new at a flea market a couple years ago..Haven't found anything they wont drill.......I first saw them at a woodworking show..the guy was drilling holes in old files.....at high speed and no lube.

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Dog-Tools-Pie...drill+bits

Thanks, Jack,

I'll take a look.
Peter

My "day job"
Could it be spot annealled for the hole?  You're a long way from the working end, it could be half sunk in wet sand and a torch applied to the area needing drilled to draw the temper and soften it. I don't know with M2.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(04-25-2018, 10:47 PM)blackhat Wrote: Could it be spot annealled for the hole?  You're a long way from the working end, it could be half sunk in wet sand and a torch applied to the area needing drilled to draw the temper and soften it. I don't know with M2.

I suppose it could.

But the holes that I'll be drilling next won't be practice holes like this one was.

Those holes will be much close to the end of the blade.
Peter

My "day job"
Good tip. I've been trying to drill holes in hardened knife tangs for pins with TiN coated bits without success. I'll have to give this a try.
Cellulose runs through my veins!