Name that wood.
If Light weight wood then it kinda looks like Cyprus if heavy dense wood then possibly Quebracho.
A close up of the end grain would help and if it is heavy or light weight.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
If it's heavy/dense it looks a lot like a few planks of lychee I have.
If I remember right, it's heavy and hard.
Wikipedia claims there are over 150 species of trees used for timber in India:  Link.

Which is it?  I haven't a clue.

John
(05-30-2018, 08:36 PM)Gary™ Wrote: African Mahogany would be my guess

No way.

It could be anything....if it HAS to come from india, Teak might be a fit. It looks a lot like Monkey Pod, but AFAIK that doesnt grown in India at all.....

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Does it have a fragrance of any kind? Also what about hardness and density? That does have a grain structure I've seen but it seems it had a fragrance. Might want to sand it or scrape it to find out.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
Did he paint behind the toilet?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(06-04-2018, 05:20 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Did he paint behind the toilet?

Hard to tell with the shadows
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-30-2018, 12:19 PM)daddo Wrote: BIL got this wood in slabs 2" thick. He was told it was from India but isn't sure.

What do you think?

[Image: kaIM57z.jpg]

Well this "identify this wood" string that comes along regularly has some entertainment value but I don't think Woodnet's success rate even for domestic woods is much above zero.  If you want to know, send a sample to the Forest Products Laboratory wood identifiers and then you will know.  Ken
(05-31-2018, 06:38 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Teak?

Might be teak...might be olive...could even be canarywood...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset