Testing electric fence charger
One up above suggested a screwdriver. I always used a long, screwdriver type prybar, about 2' long that I could contact the ground and the wire.
Or a piece of rebar with an old piece of garden hose slid down on it for a handle.

I use traps for coons. Hava-heart trap big enough for a coon is about 30 bucks. Set it and put a cookie in there.

I despise keeping an electric fence working
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

When I was a kid we'd take a stem of grass, maybe a foot or so long, and lay it on the hot wire holding the other end.  We'd slide it up towards the wire until we could feel the jolt and see who could get closest before chickening out.  That probably doesn't pass for amusement for kids any more.
Just get someone to grab a-hold of it. About like having someone hold the spark plug wire while you crank it over.
Winkgrin
One winter we had a problem with the neighborhood dogs leaving a pile in the yard, then peeing on the garbage can. Come spring there was a terrible mess. I connected the electric fencer to the can. In the middle of the night  we would here a Ky yi yi of a dog running away. The next day the dog would come trotting down the road, cross the road and fence row across from the house. When passed the house the dog would return to the road.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
I wear crocs; great insulators, just touch the tape and get a tingling. Once I screwed up, and tried to fix one of the tape holders and came in contact with the iron pole and the tape. All my bride heard was a scream, and I woke up laying on my back on the lawn, didn't remember anything. Worked really well on the deer. Here in NJ the deer have taken over, I'm thinking of getting a hunting license.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Gosh, I remember an uncle who would grab spark plug wires and unhook them from running engines. About the same sort of shock as a fencer may deliver. I guess it would not kill you, but may wake you up.
(06-06-2018, 06:38 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I despise keeping an electric fence working

I absolutely agree with that, although I don't have a lot of experience doing so (just with a pet shocker some years ago, and it was a pain). In this case I only need it to run about 6 weeks or so to protect the corn, otherwise I might try to come up with an alternative.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-07-2018, 06:11 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I absolutely agree with that, although I don't have a lot of experience doing so (just with a pet shocker some years ago, and it was a pain). In this case I only need it to run about 6 weeks or so to protect the corn, otherwise I might try to come up with an alternative.

Not sure why you think electric fence needs maintenance. If you install the plug in type there is no maintenance. The battery operated ones I change two D batteries monthly. Takes about 2 minutes. 
mike
(06-07-2018, 04:23 PM)mike4244 Wrote: Not sure why you think electric fence needs maintenance. If you install the plug in type there is no maintenance. The battery operated ones I change two D batteries monthly. Takes about 2 minutes. 
mike

We're talking keeping the weeds/grass from growing up under the fence wire.
Deer jumping it and knocking it down.
Not the charger itself......
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Get some really hot peppers and dip them in some chocolate (especially the kind that hardens), scatter them about and be prepared for strange sounds in the night
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Toss a cat against the fence. It will tell you if it's working or not. Most cats are only good for a couple trials so make sure there's spares around.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.