Box bottom technique
I am going to make a box for my Lion Trimmer. It is very sharp and fairly heavy so i want it safely enclosed for storage.
It has a good deal of heft so please give me the best way to attach design the bottom and what thickness.
(06-08-2018, 09:38 AM)Jack in omaha Wrote: I am going to make a box for my Lion Trimmer. It is very sharp and fairly heavy so i want it safely enclosed for storage.
It has a good deal of heft so please give me the best way to attach design the bottom and what thickness.

Hi - Jack - assume that you mean the type of miter trimmer shown below?  Use a bathroom scale and tell us how much it weighs?  I suspect that dado lower sides w/ at least 3/8" to 1/2" thick bottom would likely work - my main concern is how to remove the trimmer from the box w/o cutting one's fingers, i.e. opening top cover or a side opening to slide the cutter out?  Good luck - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Baltic birch plywood is amazingly strong. You could easily get away with a 1/4" BB ply bottom set in grooves in the front back and sides of your box. If you don't trust 1/4" stock, 3/8" BB ply would be more than strong enough. I used 3/8" BB ply for bottoms in my large shop drawers. They're a lot bigger than the box you'll need for your Lion Miter Trimmer, and they have held a lot of weight with no issues.
While you could do as Hank Knight says, another option would be to make the bottom of heavier stock, and bolt the trimmer to it. Make the rest of the box as a cover that fits over and latches securely. That way you can carry the entire box safely to where you will use it, then unlatch and remove the cover for use.
(06-08-2018, 03:09 PM)Alan S Wrote: While you could do as Hank Knight says, another option would be to make the bottom of heavier stock, and bolt the trimmer to it.  Make the rest of the box as a cover that fits over and latches securely.  That way you can carry the entire box safely to where you will use it, then unlatch and remove the cover for use.

+1 This is a similar technique for other heavy items such as sewing machines and movie projectors.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(06-08-2018, 03:09 PM)Alan S Wrote: While you could do as Hank Knight says, another option would be to make the bottom of heavier stock, and bolt the trimmer to it.  Make the rest of the box as a cover that fits over and latches securely.  That way you can carry the entire box safely to where you will use it, then unlatch and remove the cover for use.

I would do this ^^^^ the base will give you an easy way to clamp down the trimmer in use as well.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.