Grizzly Bandsaw Guide Bearings - Opinions Please
  Re: Grizzly Bandsaw Guide Bearings - Opinions Please by cputnam (Murray M in this [ur...)
(02-05-2019, 10:52 PM)cputnam Wrote: Murray M in this thread opined that the guides were so poor as to put the saw at the bottom of his heap.  Since I have not yet pulled the trigger on a saw, I was wondering what the rest of the here assembled thinks.  Saw in question is the GO513X2.  If you disagree with Murray M, please no bashing - I need a constructive discussion about the guides and guide mounts.
TIA

I have a 14" G0555 bandsaw with riser block. I've had it for 12 years or so.  I recently broke part of the bearing guide bracket while replacing a bearing.  I bought a replacement Carter guide set at Rockler.  It was in stock and I had some deadlines.

The Carter guides were a vast improvement on the original guides.  Looking back on it now, the originals may have never been correctly setup by me.  I don't blame Grizzly for this, it's on me to know my tools.

Will I buy something from Grizzly again?  Yes.  Will I also shop elsewhere for more precision equipment, yes.

I can't speak for Murray M's bearing guide positioning issues in his thread.  I will say that sometimes the difference between one saw and another may be a couple more finely tuned parts.  Those differences can make it a little easier.  You can buy it once or add after market items later.  I've used larger Laguna and MM bandsaws at the local college.  They use 'cool blocks' or whatever you call them for resawing. The blocks are noisy as all get out and seem to have a little more play in them than my Carter guides. On the negative side for Carter, the set for my saw are bearing guides, so you can get a bit of pitch or muck on them that may cause greater side to side movement in the blade when resawing if not cleaned.

I think a lot may depend on what you will use the saw for.  If resawing, cool blocks and a big a$$ blade may be your best bet.  If you are doing a lot of curves and bowl blank cutting, you may want something else as a guide.
  Re: RE: Grizzly Bandsaw Guide Bearings - Opinions Please by bbrickey ([quote='cputnam' pid...)
(03-05-2019, 04:48 AM)bbrickey Wrote: The Carter guides were a vast improvement on the original guides.  Looking back on it now, the originals may have never been correctly setup by me.  I don't blame Grizzly for this, it's on me to know my tools.

What, specifically, was better with the carter guides?