Out of the scrap bin
Captain Eddie had a video or 2 about turning pens that use the guts from a cheap Bic pen (a box of 15 for a buck) so I thought I would try it.

Most of these came from a small piece of cherry that's been laying around for a few decades. Can't throw the stick away because it could be useful some day. Right?

Attached Files Image(s)

We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Not bad.
Cool 

That must have been a long stick.....
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-09-2019, 07:56 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Not bad.
Cool 

That must have been a long stick.....
Winkgrin

When your blank only needs to be 1" square by 8" to 10" long, a stick makes a lot of blanks.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(05-09-2019, 07:39 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: Captain Eddie had a video or 2 about turning pens that use the guts from a cheap Bic pen (a box of 15 for a buck) so I thought I would try it.  

Most of these came from a small piece of cherry that's been laying around for a few decades.  Can't throw the stick away because it could be useful some day.  Right?

I did the same thing for me and the vets years ago.  I bought 5 boxes and everyone liked doing it and easy to put new ink in, however they do not quite write the same as the other ones. I also did have to get a special drill bit for it so it fit better of which I think was 5/32 but not sure right now.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
When making Bic pens on the lathe be sure to check the diameter of the 'innards' of the pens. The plastic connector - the part between the ink tube and the brass tip - that is pressed into the turned pen varies. The Bic pens I had needed a 17/64" bit where the smaller ones take a 5/32" bit.

Bill
(05-10-2019, 10:47 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I did the same thing for me and the vets years ago.  I bought 5 boxes and everyone liked doing it and easy to put new ink in, however they do not quite write the same as the other ones.  I also did have to get a special drill bit for it so it fit better of which I think was 5/32 but not sure right now.

I remember the Bics having a tiny hole near the top so air could get in as you write. Without it I don't think the ink would flow like it's supposed to.