Heads-Up: PEC Combination Squares (blem)
I dig PEC. I have few of their squares. It’s good stuff. It’s a steal at these prices.
I’ve been down to Epstein’s many times. Last time was a couple months ago and they didn’t have any blem PEC stuff left. The owner said they were selling the blem PEC line for less than what they can buy the blem stuff for now. He also said the blem stuff is less and less now given CNC’s.

The real steal were their PEC blem 4” and 6” squares. You can still find some PEC blem stuff on Ebay. I added a 24” blem PEC ruler to my 12” head for around $35.

Epstein’s is a super cool store in an old downtown KC building with the original wood floors and about every hand tool you can imagine for many trades. They also have great prices on German made Bessey F style clamps. Lots of NOS USA made mechanics tools as well. I was lucky enough to buy a nice collection of old woodworking hand tools from them a few years back that they were selling on commission. You never know what you’re going to find in that store.

(06-25-2019, 10:29 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: I’ve been down to Epstein’s many times.  Last time was a couple months ago and they didn’t have any blem PEC stuff left.  The owner said they were selling the blem PEC line for less than what they can buy the blem stuff for now.  He also said the blem stuff is less and less now given CNC’s.  

The real steal were their PEC blem 4” and 6” squares.  You can still find some PEC blem stuff on Ebay.  I added a 24” blem PEC ruler to my 12” head for around $35.

Epstein’s is a super cool store in an old downtown KC building with the original wood floors and about every hand tool you can imagine for many trades.  They also have great prices on German made Bessey F style clamps.  Lots of NOS USA made mechanics tools as well.  I was lucky enough to buy a nice collection of old woodworking hand tools from them a few years back that they were selling on commission.  You never know what you’re going to find in that store.
Yep, always a good time.

Bought a blemished 4" double square there one time (well, a friend did the purchase for me as he was heading there while I was out of town). Turns out he didn't open the box and check it first. The blemish was the center channel of the blade was angled and so you couldn't slide the square one way or lock it down the other... Epstein's of course made it right. But I thought it was pretty funny, certainly a blemish.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Doubting Thomas question:

How do they have 3k blemished pieces? How does that work?
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-26-2019, 12:40 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Doubting Thomas question:

How do they have 3k blemished pieces?  How does that work?

I watch the website pretty regularly, and they've not had much PEC blems for some time (two, maybe three years), so I guess that PEC was just saving them up in one big lot, but you're guess is as good as mine.  They are minor finish blems, generally on the scale, or paint blems on the heads, etc.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-26-2019, 12:40 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Doubting Thomas question:

How do they have 3k blemished pieces?  How does that work?

Automation makes product that is highly consistent. usually that is good. Sometimes you wind up with several thousand of something with the same defect.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
Oh, okay. Those reasons make sense.
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-28-2019, 12:58 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Oh, okay.  Those reasons make sense.

If you are in the market for one, you won't be sorry.  Excellent price, no, crazy price for the quality....
Will you quit posting Epstein bargains. Their site is like the weird and crazy of sales. I'm sucked in every time. Last time I was trying to talk my wife into WWI silverware. Navy, maybe? This time I see they have scissors jack stainless steel medic's table for sale. It'll work great in the dining room. I saved the cost of a chinese parachute and pry bar in just shipping costs for them. 

I need a replacement tape for my Stanley rule. I wonder if a Millers Falls will work?
Cool
(06-29-2019, 12:21 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Will you quit posting Epstein bargains. Their site is like the weird and crazy of sales. I'm sucked in every time. Last time I was trying to talk my wife into WWI silverware. Navy, maybe? This time I see they have scissors jack stainless steel medic's table for sale. It'll work great in the dining room. I saved the cost of a chinese parachute and pry bar in just shipping costs for them. 

I need a replacement tape for my Stanley rule. I wonder if a Millers Falls will work?
Cool

Doubtful on the MF tape..... but it is a great site to visit regularly, to paraphrase what Forrest Gump said, its like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.