Red mulberry
I have a section of limb that broke off of a living red mulberry tree. I cut it off the tree, painted the ends with  Anchorseal, and it's been inside a shed since spring 2010. It grew in Northern Kentucky.

I would like to use it for a joiners mallet head. I'd like a big mallet head,  size to be determined when I cut into it. The other end has some small checks, can't tell how far they go.

I won't know moisture content until I cut into it. The reason I want to use this piece is because it's the biggest I have to work with.

My ? 's       Should I look for something else? I can't predict what it will be in a few years if I go ahead with this. Maybe warp and crack, maybe solid. I don't have a clue.

If I use it, how long should I wait before I start. I just took it out of the shed today.            Thanks!!!!

10" wide x 6" tall x 16" long

Attached Files Image(s)

Red mulberry should do nicely for your mallet head.  The MC of it now is whatever the EMC in your shed is.  I would cut it 1/2" oversize right away and let it sit in your shop until the weight stops decreasing.  If your shed has an EMC of 18%, for example, and your shop's is 8% then you should seal the ends with paint or wax and expect to wait several weeks until the weight stabilizes.  If you shop's EMC is no different than the shed, then just go ahead and make your mallet, no waiting required.  

John
(08-23-2019, 12:15 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Red mulberry should do nicely for your mallet head.  The MC of it now is whatever the EMC in your shed is.  I would cut it 1/2" oversize right away and let it sit in your shop until the weight stops decreasing.  If your shed has an EMC of 18%, for example, and your shop's is 8% then you should seal the ends with paint or wax and expect to wait several weeks until the weight stabilizes.  If you shop's EMC is no different than the shed, then just go ahead and make your mallet, no waiting required.  

John

Thanks! My shop is in the basement, air conditioned and heated.
(08-23-2019, 12:30 PM)hairy Wrote: Thanks! My shop is in the basement, air conditioned and heated.

Many here are more than a little jealous, I'm sure.  

John
Use it.

Even if you get a bit of end checking (which you most likely won’t) a joiner’s mallet with checking can go right on pounding away for a long time before it actually splits.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Worrying about the moisture content won't get you a mallet. If it checks it won't be much and if it dose it you can say it is a n antique mallet.

Tom
(08-25-2019, 09:12 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: Worrying about the moisture content won't get you a mallet. If it checks it won't be much and if it dose it you can say it is a n antique mallet.

Tom

I cut into it to get the blank I was looking for.  Moisture content in the 11 - 12% range.  I think I'm good to go.
Yes, good to go.
Hey, I thought all mulberry was red. We (Missouri) don't call mulberry red mulberry....maybe a Ohio thing?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-25-2019, 09:59 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yes, good to go.
Hey, I thought all mulberry was red. We (Missouri) don't call mulberry red mulberry....maybe a Ohio thing?

I have a section of mulberry log that was cut in my neighborhood a year ago. It is bright yellow.
The few pieces of Mulberry I've turned are also yellow.

Please give us some pictures when you finish the Red Mulberry mallet.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood