Woodworking Shows
(03-07-2020, 06:31 AM)WxMan Wrote: Ralph,

Any thoughts on AWFS over in Las Vegas?  I see that the next one there is scheduled for Summer 2021.  Is it like IWF?

Been going there every odd year, switching off with IWF. It it the same type of show, for the professional, but not as large. Probably half the floor space and 1/3 the attendees.

But if it is reasonably easy for you to go, I recommend it. You can still see some amazing equipment running, and there will be plenty of vendors to shop from. 

I forgot to mention Lee Valley as one, they do both IWF and AWFS.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(03-06-2020, 08:31 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: IWF caters to businesses and industrial. Those are the big boys.

The Woodworking Shows are the smaller ones that I attended since the early 80's, but no more.
They've burnt me out, lack of attendance, lack of vendors, charge parking fees now, tickets getting in cost more....and the foreign vendor that has half of the tables in there now that sells used/rejects/over stock........

No junk dealer this time at KC. Just the dude with the so called antiques and shirts. But was again, smaller. At least it is getting quiet enough you can hear the seminars.

Oh, and of course no Peachtree.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(03-06-2020, 09:20 PM)Admiral Wrote: $12 plus parking, I'll pass....... haven't been in perhaps 8 or 9 years.

Parking was free this year at the KC show. KCI Expo center.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(03-07-2020, 09:54 AM)Rob Young Wrote: No junk dealer this time at KC. Just the dude with the so called antiques and shirts. But was again, smaller. At least it is getting quiet enough you can hear the seminars.

Oh, and of course no Peachtree.

Peachtree always made the show with the massive amount of inventory they had.
Then there was TWC, who bowed out several years back.

(03-07-2020, 09:59 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Parking was free this year at the KC show. KCI Expo center.

Thats a surprise
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

A couple of people I know have decided to skip going to the show in NY because of concerns about the virus outbreak. The last time I went to the show I saw Paul Sellers there. He was friendly, but it was noisy all around with Peachtree guys doing power demos nearby. I joked to Paul that he got overpowered.

Simon
I would love to meet Paul Seller his hand plane restoration video is great.
I remember the first Woodworking Show I went to. It was at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Southern California and it was pretty big. Every major manufacturer was there. Delta, Powermatic, Jet, Rikon, Laguna, Grex, Dewalt, Porter Cable, Bosch, Milwaukee, etc. Also there was Forrest, Freud, Ridge Carbiide, and others. You could buy power tools on the spot. I got my Jet band saw floor model for a substantial discount and hauled it home myself. They had lumber suppliers as well. Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen were there in force. LN even had stuff to sell that you could bring home with you. Now they do their own shows in smaller venues and you basically have to order to have them ship it to you. I got to talk to Christopher Schwarz one-on-one for about 15 min. Rockler and Woodcraft had goods for sale and local sales associates present. Garrett Hack taught one tutorial sessions. Different woodworking schools were represented: Collegge of the Redwoods (Krenov), William Ng, Cerritos College, were local to California. Those were the days.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
90's and early 2000's were the best years.  We'd make it a family affair with my dad, uncle and grandfather all attending the one in Indy for about 5 or 6 years straight.  The place would be packed with ton of vendors and demonstrators.  That's where I got my first Forrest WWII blade, bought a ton of Porter Cable stuff and really fell in love with woodworking.

Went to one here about 4 or 5 years ago in Indy just to see what it was like now and after 30 minutes I was ready to leave.  Just not the same.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(03-07-2020, 09:59 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Parking was free this year at the KC show. KCI Expo center.

Nothin' is free in the NY metro area...... well, perhaps the toilets....
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I want to go to IWF but, . . . August . . . in Atlanta!?! I'm desert basin born and bred. I'd have to bring my scuba gear to breath. ;-) Maybe it's like Vegas; you never actually have to go outside(?).
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.