Saw Medallion S H St Louis Mo
I have a rip saw with a medallion S H St. Lois Mo. Dec 22
It has an oak leaf and accorn in center
I have to think this is Simmons Hardware.
Year?
Latter to become Keen Kutter and then sold out to Winchester.
Any info on this out there?
Thanks
The Simonds medallions I've seen don't have an acorn and oak leaf. Just the spelled out company name on a banner on the top and the word "Warranted" on the bottom.

BTW, unless it's a typo, they misspelled St. Louis.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Could it be this one from H.M. Meier Hardware? It is related to Simmons since Herman M. Meier was a vice president in that company around 1900.

[Image: nwxs9cv.jpg]
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(05-19-2020, 08:13 AM)enjuneer Wrote: Could it be this one from H.M. Meier Hardware? It is related to Simmons since Herman M. Meier was a vice president in that company around 1900.

yes but different name here is on 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-S-H-Co-St-Lou...SwmKJakiMh
Don't recall ever seeing an oak leaf but Shapleigh Hardware Co. was based in St. Louis I believe and would be my first guess.

Andrew
(05-19-2020, 08:13 AM)enjuneer Wrote: Could it be this one from H.M. Meier Hardware? It is related to Simmons since Herman M. Meier was a vice president in that company around 1900.

(05-19-2020, 11:25 AM)Jack in omaha Wrote: yes but different name here is on 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-S-H-Co-St-Lou...SwmKJakiMh

Can't be Simonds then, because they stopped making saws in 1926 and the date on the eBay link is Dec 27.  There was an EC Simmons (extra "m" no "d") Hardware Company in St. Louis.  They were the company that started Keen Kutter.  Simmons merged with Winchester and eventually spun off Keen Kutter as a separate brand.  Simmons Hardware was a chain operating in several states.  Could be that Keen Kutter made the saw, but in St. Louis stores, they used the medallion shown.  Kind of like in St. Louis, it's St. Louis Bread Company (original name), but everywhere else it's Panera.  Shapleigh saws were branded Diamond Edge which was in their medallions, so I don't think it's a Shapleigh saw.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
An excellent reference to saw medallions:

https://www.lumberjocks.com/summerfi/blog/39861
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-18-2020, 04:55 PM)Jack in omaha Wrote: I have a rip saw with a medallion S H St. Lois Mo. Dec 22
It has an oak leaf and accorn in center
I have to think this is Simmons Hardware.
Year?
Latter to become Keen Kutter and then sold out to Winchester.
Any info on this out there?
Thanks

After looking at the photos, "S.H. Co." is indeed "Simmons Hardware Company". The acorn and oak leaf is one of their many trademarks.

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(05-20-2020, 05:28 AM)enjuneer Wrote: After looking at the photos, "S.H. Co." is indeed "Simmons Hardware Company". The acorn and oak leaf is one of their many trademarks.

Amd this opens a new question. The date is 1887 usually that means it was in use for 17 years. Did the medallions really indicate true date of manufacture on tools usally indicates a made date within say 17 years. 
Who made these saws and when?
(05-19-2020, 03:47 PM)AHill Wrote: Can't be Simonds then, because they stopped making saws in 1926 and the date on the eBay link is Dec 27.  There was an EC Simmons (extra "m" no "d") Hardware Company in St. Louis.  They were the company that started Keen Kutter.  Simmons merged with Winchester and eventually spun off Keen Kutter as a separate brand.  Simmons Hardware was a chain operating in several states.  Could be that Keen Kutter made the saw, but in St. Louis stores, they used the medallion shown.  Kind of like in St. Louis, it's St. Louis Bread Company (original name), but everywhere else it's Panera.  Shapleigh saws were branded Diamond Edge which was in their medallions, so I don't think it's a Shapleigh saw.
Shapleigh saws were branded Diamond Edge which was in their medallions, so I don't think it's a Shapleigh saw

Shapleigh's trade mark was an Arrow..inside a Diamond shape.This is a new Diamond Edge LA block marked Norvel Shapleigh that I have had for 25yrs.

[Image: fullsizeoutput-cd9.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-cd7.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset