Drum sander choices
I have two: Performax 16/32 and General International 25" dual drum. Both have spring loaded clips for paper retention, and all drum sanders have a bit of a learning curve to understand what is needed to get the best out of them (I have no issue with mounting paper).

Both of mine serve me well and once you "learn how to hold your tongue", paper has a decent life. Some have Velcro for holding paper, but I would be concerned about "sponginess" in the paper surface.

Good luck.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(07-21-2020, 02:41 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Never seen another any easier, and many are a lot more difficult.  The Delta is spring loaded on both ends, too, something my new, wider machine lacks but would benefit from.  What else don't you like?  The only annoying thing with mine was the drive belt would never stay centered for more than a few hours and required constant tweaking.  Of course, many folks don't use their DS more than a few hours a year so it wouldn't be a big deal, but I was putting several hours a week on mine, and still do on the new one when I'm sawing veneer.  

John
Yeah, the drive belt is a bit of a pain.  I keep a long Allen key "on board" and use it too often.  I need to fiddle with the paper connection with a long nosed pair of channel locks, but not too bad.  Most of my issues (burning paper, ripping it occasionally) are clearly operator error.  After a couple of months of non use, I seem to forget its not a thickness planner.... But quickly figure it out, ouch.
BTW, what machinery did you upgrade to, and how do you like it.
(07-22-2020, 03:13 PM)Demps Wrote: Yeah, the drive belt is a bit of a pain.  I keep a long Allen key "on board" and use it too often.  I need to fiddle with the paper connection with a long nosed pair of channel locks, but not too bad.  Most of my issues (burning paper, ripping it occasionally) are clearly operator error.  After a couple of months of non use, I seem to forget its not a thickness planner.... But quickly figure it out, ouch.
BTW, what machinery did you upgrade to, and how do you like it.

I bought a used General International 24" dual drum sander.  It has a rubber type belt that tracks straight.  The 3 HP motor is a big step up over the Delta but is still not too much.  5 hp would be better on a machine of this size, and I think Woodmaster offers that.  The paper retention clip is spring loaded only on one end of the drum and results in having to snug up the sanding strip after several minutes of use to take out the stretch.  The clip works well enough but can't pull out any slack that forms across a drum that wide.  If they had put a spring loaded clip on both ends like on the Delta I think it would work w/o issue.  DC is good overall with two 4" ports, but there is a dead zone right in the middle where neither port picks up the dust, at least with the 8 - 900 actual cfm my DC can muster through those ports, which is annoying.  Surface finish is very good and there is no snipe.  The hold down rollers are set very close to the drums making it possible to sand pieces as short as about 7" which occasionally has come in handy.  Overall I'm happy with the machine and have no plans to replace it.  

FYI, my friend has a Steel City 25" dual drum sander, and it appears identical in most every way to my GI.  I think several similar machines were made by one manufacturer and sold under various brand names.  

John
(07-23-2020, 09:52 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I bought a used General International 24" dual drum sander.  It has a rubber type belt that tracks straight.  The 3 HP motor is a big step up over the Delta but is still not too much.  5 hp would be better on a machine of this size, and I think Woodmaster offers that.  The paper retention clip is spring loaded only on one end of the drum and results in having to snug up the sanding strip after several minutes of use to take out the stretch.  The clip works well enough but can't pull out any slack that forms across a drum that wide.  If they had put a spring loaded clip on both ends like on the Delta I think it would work w/o issue.  DC is good overall with two 4" ports, but there is a dead zone right in the middle where neither port picks up the dust, at least with the 8 - 900 actual cfm my DC can muster through those ports, which is annoying.  Surface finish is very good and there is no snipe.  The hold down rollers are set very close to the drums making it possible to sand pieces as short as about 7" which occasionally has come in handy.  Overall I'm happy with the machine and have no plans to replace it.  

FYI, my friend has a Steel City 25" dual drum sander, and it appears identical in most every way to my GI.  I think several similar machines were made by one manufacturer and sold under various brand names.  

John

I also have a General International dual drum(bought new) and if I remember correctly, it was bought as a 25". On the outside, it appears similar to the Steel City, as well as a few other similar sized sanders. Mine, however, has spring clips on both sides of the drums, and I have not had to go back and snug up the paper. I have had the sander about 4 or 5 years now, and have no complaints about it - power is fine, dust collection OK.

I cannot relay any issues with the machine, other than I should not have assumed that it was correctly adjusted, when first purchased. I have a set of machinist 1 - 2 - 3 blocks and used those for adjusting the rollers, and the machine just chugs along fine! The machine is not perfect, but neither is its owner!

I've said on this forum and a few others, drum sanders are finesse tools and when sanding, you must be careful with light passes and listening to signs of the sander straining (so as to slow down the feed!).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(07-23-2020, 10:54 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I also have a General International dual drum(bought new) and if I remember correctly, it was bought as a 25".  On the outside, it appears similar to the Steel City, as well as a few other similar sized sanders.  Mine, however, has spring clips on both sides of the drums, and I have not had to go back and snug up the paper.  I have had the sander about 4 or 5 years now, and have no complaints about it - power is fine, dust collection OK.  

I cannot relay any issues with the machine, other than I should not have assumed that it was correctly adjusted, when first purchased.  I have a set of machinist 1 - 2 - 3 blocks and used those for adjusting the rollers, and the machine just chugs along fine!  The machine is not perfect, but neither is its owner!

I've said on this forum and a few others, drum sanders are finesse tools and when sanding, you must be careful with light passes and listening to signs of the sander straining (so as to slow down the feed!).

Yes, there are 24" and 25" versions of the machine.  My friend's is 25" and has 12" vertical capacity.  Mine is 24" and 6 or 8" capacity (can't remember).  Like you, I had to realign everything when I got it, including adding a shim or two to get the drums parallel with the belt.  I'm not sure how the original owner got acceptable results.  Now that I think about it, my friend had to shim his, too, a full 1/16" IIRC.  But once they were set up they have stayed in alignment with no further adjustments required.  We both sand veneered door panels with only a couple of thou variation over 20" width.  

John  

John