Decorating Trends That Date Your Home
eh, do it the way you like unless you're only going to live their for a short time. You're going to live their for a long time so might as well enjoy it. Also unless it's incredibly old or damaged I'm not changing countertops, cabinets, repainting ... just to match some trend.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
(04-17-2021, 09:47 AM)EricU Wrote: Looks like the realtor doesn't like that kind of countertop or they would have taken a picture of it.

What is the floor with the square accent made from?  

That house is going to look dated in 5 years.  I guess you have to decide if things like that matter, or if you are going to chase the ephemera of "up to date" style.

I thought the zebra carpet picture was pretty funny.  Everything is wrong with that room, it even has wallpaper on the ceiling. Zebra carpet is the least of your worries, it could be gone in a few seconds.

I am sure the things in that article make a difference to some people, but it seems more aimed towards people that want their house to be up to date and not home sellers.  So that when their snobby friends come over they don't judge.  Get rid of those "friends," problem solved.

The realtor owns the top RE Agency in the town. Each of his agents are tracking 20 million in sales/purchases this year. I do inspections for a few of them. The floor is painted cork. Pretty common in the 50s-60s for basements and moisture doesn't hurt it much.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(04-17-2021, 10:48 AM)msweig Wrote: OMG that house actually had the floor plan.  I don't know about other places but here in Houston you rarely see a floor plan with a listing, pretty much only on new homes, and even then it is somewhat rare. Such a PITA. 

Mark

Pretty much always a floor plan at this price point.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

But remember, some folks like what they like, in style or not......
"Whether it's used in a kitchen or dining area, linoleum flooring is just unacceptable. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a more practical material like wood or tile." HUH? Linoleum (AKA Marmoleum) is 1000 times more practical in a kitchen than wood.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(04-17-2021, 08:51 PM)MsNomer Wrote: "Whether it's used in a kitchen or dining area, linoleum flooring is just unacceptable. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a more practical material like wood or tile."  HUH?  Linoleum (AKA Marmoleum) is 1000 times more practical in a kitchen than wood.

Until you try to sell the house.

My mom downsized after dad passed and bought a newer, smaller home with a small yard. The first thing she did was had the granite countertops and stainless appliances replaced with Corian countertops and new Bisque appliances. She wants what she wants. Personally, I don't like stainless appliances either, never understood the allure.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(04-18-2021, 05:44 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Until you try to sell the house.

My mom downsized after dad passed and bought a newer, smaller home with a small yard. The first thing she did was had the granite countertops and stainless appliances replaced with Corian countertops and new Bisque appliances. She wants what she wants. Personally, I don't like stainless appliances either, never understood the allure.

finally someone who agrees with me.  Seems like everyone I talk to likes them.  Always reminded me of big institutions or cafeterias.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
(04-18-2021, 11:54 AM)oscarMadison Wrote: finally someone who agrees with me.  Seems like everyone I talk to likes them.  Always reminded me of big institutions or cafeterias.

Plus 1
Stainless steel just doesn’t look right 
Some folks feel if they don’t do what’s on tv they are wrong....
A fad that will go away....
There’s a reason they use stainless steel in commercial kitchens, it’s easy to clean and sanitary.
VH07V  
(04-18-2021, 12:28 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Plus 1
Stainless steel just doesn’t look right 
Some folks feel if they don’t do what’s on tv they are wrong....
A fad that will go away....

....or how to devalue your home and ruin a family heirloom in 20 minutes or less.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"