Woodworking YouTubers?
(06-16-2023, 08:01 AM)JDuke Wrote: ... Then there’s the stratification of the hobby, 
Festool fanboys, and Sawstop snobs (I have both) don’t seem to want to rub elbows with the cross section of folks here that used to lead to some very lively topics...

Used to be PM snobs.  
Laugh

I remember a lot more SawStop haters at the beginning, and from what I've seen the haters are still much more vocal than the ones of us who've come to have one over the years.
There are still plenty of woodworking YouTubers out there. Particularly in the hand tools world.

Paul Sellers
Matt Estlea
Stumpy Nubs
The Wood Whisperer
Bob Rosaieski
John Heisz
Aussie Woodshed
Woodcraft by Suman
Rob Cosman (more advertising for his tools and DVD's these days)
Lincoln St. Woodworks
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I did little woodworking for 10+ years. When I got back in I was surprised at so much youtube content. Used to be you had to pay to get a Rob Cosman CD ROM, now he's giving it away free on youtube. Still I don't just play episodes in the background, more I look up a technique I'm interested in to see if there are any tips. Like recently I looked up doors sliding in grooves, or hanging drawers with dados in the sides. More interested in the content than the provider.

I like Paul Sellers, Rob Cosman, the English Woodworker, Bob R, Chris Schwarz, Peter Follansbee. More handtool focused group. A lot of the other popular ones I think are more content creators than woodworkers. They know how to shoot and edit a video and market it, but I feel have a shallow understanding of woodworking itself.

OK, I'll play Roy Underhill's the Woodwright's Shop in the background. Some are on youtube but you can find a lot more on PBS.

It doesn't help that google has over 90% of the search market and the first things they'll show you are google products like youtube or quick answers lifted from sites like stackexchange or bob vila. It may take a lot of scrolling to find a helpful forum and most people don't scroll past the first few. So if you're a newbie getting into woodworking that's kinda where you are directed to.

When I got back into woodworking I found the forums a lot quieter than they used to be. There are (or were) subforums on reddit that were more active. I've also heard of groups or discussions on discord and instagram and facebook, but I've never used those sites.
Instagram, more than youtube, seems to be the competitor to forums.
(06-14-2023, 02:23 PM)FS7 Wrote:  I'm probably more cynical than most but I see epoxy tables, for example, as a fad that will not last very long.

Ditto. I try and keep my mouth shut on such things but a beautiful slab table with a colored stripe down it doesn't turn my crank. 

Don't get me wrong, I love a nice slab table. Taking a wood slab with all its imperfections and through good craftsmanship and hard work overcoming those imperfections to make a perfectly usable and strong table top is an idea that could apply to so many things in our life.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
It would be a shame if new woodworkers weren’t introduced to America’s Wood Shop teacher Nick Engler at his channel “Workshop Companion.”
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(06-23-2023, 09:46 AM)KyleD Wrote: Ditto. I try and keep my mouth shut on such things but a beautiful slab table with a colored stripe down it doesn't turn my crank. 

Don't get me wrong, I love a nice slab table. Taking a wood slab with all its imperfections and through good craftsmanship and hard work overcoming those imperfections to make a perfectly usable and strong table top is an idea that could apply to so many things in our life.

I agree.

I was watching Shawn from four-eyes furniture last night do a 60" round slab table.  To do achieve what his clients wanted, he basically used the epoxy only to hold the slab together, rather than putting this large artificial "river" down the middle of it.  IMO, no epoxy can compete with the natural beauty of a nice piece of wood.

and he put a fantastic base with some really cool joinery under it.  Worth a watch.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(06-14-2023, 01:15 PM)FireWood Wrote: I was thinking the other day about how much traffic on this forum has declined.  I figured that YouTube is probably the first place that people go these days when they want to learn something new.  I do that a lot myself...

So....   What YouTubers are you watching that you really like?

Me, I watch a lot of blacktail studio.  I don't really care for epoxy tables all that much, but there is something about watching his builds that I find enjoyable.

I dont see a decline in the hobby, if anything I am seeing more DIY'ers at the local lumber yard instead of HD buying nicer materials. I have not been on this forum in over a year, but see nothing has changed. Opened up new unread posts... Out of the 20 on 1st page only 4 are related to actual woodworking or something directly related to it. 10 of them are posts regarding politics. See yall next year haha.
(06-27-2023, 08:48 AM)FireWood Wrote: I was watching Shawn from four-eyes furniture last night do a 60" round slab table.  To do achieve what his clients wanted, he basically used the epoxy only to hold the slab together, rather than putting this large artificial "river" down the middle of it.  IMO, no epoxy can compete with the natural beauty of a nice piece of wood.

and he put a fantastic base with some really cool joinery under it.  Worth a watch.

Chris and Shaun do good work and put on a good show.
https://www.foureyesfurniture.com/
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I still like the interchange of ideas on forums like this because you can ask a specific question and generally get a fairly accurate answer within a day or two.  Still, I find myself watching a lot more YouTube lately. 

My favorites are are the aforementioned Blacktail studios but I also watch Bourbon moth woodworking. He's a skilled woodworker with a quirky personality. Also got to give a shout-out to The Woodwhisperer. Marc was one of the original woodworkers on YouTube and 17 years later he's still putting out good content.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.