power tool maintenance??
(10-09-2023, 09:14 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I've tried paraffin wax on my TS.  It was hard to apply over the racks and only worked sort of OK.  I think it was Joe Grout who recommended TriFlow lubricant.  Voila', works like a charm.  Bicycle chain lube is pretty much the same thing and works about as well. Both dry out and don't attract much dust or dirt.  Some folks recommend dry graphite lubricant, but it's never worked for me.  The comment about lubing where the crank goes through the saw body is spot on.  That has often been the source of friction on my old Unisaw.  

John

I too have had pretty good luck with TriFlow which advertized as a PTFE("teflon") bearing compound. It used to be made by DuPont but they seem to have sold it off to another company.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tri+flow+supe...-doa-p_3_8
(10-08-2023, 11:18 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I know I really should do more maintenance on my tools and that drum sander got away from me and I use it so much I should have noticed it but it just went and threads got all butchered up and no fixing so do not want that to happen again. I just need to be careful with the stuff I use that it does not cause a problem with wood when going to finish it. That is why I am thinking some kind of dry lube. Thanks for the replys.

On the butchered female threads in the plate, it might be worth checking to see if you could drill and tap for an automotive insert. I helped my father do several different versions of inserts for stripped spark plug threads in VWs, but I seem to recall that they also made thread inserts for head bolts/studs.

Hopefully, someone with more recent experience with thread inserts will chime in.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-12-2023, 03:56 PM)iclark Wrote: On the butchered female threads in the plate, it might be worth checking to see if you could drill and tap for an automotive insert. I helped my father do several different versions of inserts for stripped spark plug threads in VWs, but I seem to recall that they also made thread inserts for head bolts/studs.

Hopefully, someone with more recent experience with thread inserts will chime in.

Are you referring to a Helicoil by chance? I think that it would work fine.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(10-12-2023, 06:14 PM)museumguy Wrote: Are you referring to a Helicoil by chance? I think that it would work fine.

Yes, Helicoil is one of the brands that my father used.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.