End vise ???
one could always build one of these?

Fits into about any dog hole...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(10-25-2023, 11:04 AM)bandit571 Wrote: one could always build one of these?

Fits into about any dog hole...

Is that yours?  I don't remember seeing it in any of your builds.
Belongs to Lost Art Press...as it was on the end of one of the 7 benches there...

And this was another bench...as for that pile of vises?

One was in use, at the time I was there...

In Covington, KY.
(10-25-2023, 09:22 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: If I were building another bench, the end vise would either be a twin screw or Moxon.

Yes, yes, yes!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I was too chicken to install a tail vise, but it would have been nice at times. I mainly use bench hooks, wedges and some stops and they serve all of my needs without the tail vise. Maybe a hint of old school goes with using them, which I like.
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
Mine, in use...

But, I do tend to sit down on the job, anyway...
When I built my bench I wanted to see if I would miss having an end vise, and I don't.

For the times I really need something like a wagon vise a wonder dog works great.
Built the workbench featured in Woodsmith #50 many years ago, my first and only. Don't do a ton of handwork but can't imagine not having a tail vise - YMMV.