Router lift recommendations and setup
When I upgraded my router table I decided to go all out. Incra Master lift II (make sure to get the Incra version so you have the magnetic inset rings), Incra LS postioner with a Wonder fence and a 3 1/4 hp Milwaukee router. With the lift I have precise control of bit height and above the table changes. The LS and fence allows repeatable positioning in 1/32 increments. It gives me the precision I want instead of the bump the fence and see if it was enough, not enough or too much.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
I pulled the trigger on an Incra Master Lift II

Now I'm trying to decide on a router motor. I already have a compatible Craftsman 17543 that I use as a portable router and a Bosch 1617EVS which I have set up for my Akida dovetailing jig and it's also compatible. But somehow I'm thinking these may end up feeling a bit underpowered in that they are in the 2 HP range.

I've come across the Woodpecker spinrite at 3HP for $250 on Amazon, lots of reviewers liked it, except one guy said the brushes wear out quickly.

Anyway any recommendations on router motors?
(10-19-2023, 09:39 PM)davco Wrote: I pulled the trigger on an Incra Master Lift II

Now I'm trying to decide on a router motor.  I already have a compatible Craftsman 17543 that I use as a portable router and a Bosch 1617EVS which I have set up for my Akida dovetailing jig and it's also compatible.  But somehow I'm thinking these may end up feeling a bit underpowered in that they are in the 2 HP range.

I've come across the Woodpecker spinrite at 3HP for $250 on Amazon, lots of reviewers liked it, except one guy said the brushes wear out quickly.

Anyway any recommendations on router motors?

Wise move on the Master Lift, IMO. 

If one of my PC 7518's died I think I'd take a hard look at the Milwaukee 5625. New ones carry a 5 year warranty and the reviews on them that I've read seem to all be favorable. Too bad Makita doesn't seem to make a fixed based 3.5 HP router or just the motor alone. Of all the hand-held routers I have (Dewalt, Bosch, Porter Cable, Craftsman and Makita) the two Makita's I picked up off of Ebay are my favorites. They are smooth, quiet, ergonomically comfortable and at 2 1/4 HP plenty powerful enough, but I digress.

Again, the Milwaukee 5625 seems to get high marks on the woodworking forums, although the old timers are still lamenting the demise of the PC 7518. It was the standard for router lifts for so many years. With the 5 year warranty on the Milwaukee don't know how you could go wrong.

Doug
(10-19-2023, 11:00 PM)Tapper Wrote: Wise move on the Master Lift, IMO. 

If one of my PC 7518's died I think I'd take a hard look at the Milwaukee 5625. New ones carry a 5 year warranty and the reviews on them that I've read seem to all be favorable. Too bad Makita doesn't seem to make a fixed based 3.5 HP router or just the motor alone. Of all the hand-held routers I have (Dewalt, Bosch, Porter Cable, Craftsman and Makita) the two Makita's I picked up off of Ebay are my favorites. They are smooth, quiet, ergonomically comfortable and at 2 1/4 HP plenty powerful enough, but I digress.

Again, the Milwaukee 5625 seems to get high marks on the woodworking forums, although the old timers are still lamenting the demise of the PC 7518. It was the standard for router lifts for so many years. With the 5 year warranty on the Milwaukee don't know how you could go wrong.

Doug

I've got the 7518 in a JoinTech lift (rebranded Jessum Mast-R-Lift) with the JoinTech SmartFence, which is similar to the Incra setup.  Other than messing around when it was new, I've never used the fancy fence for dovetails or box joints, but the micro adjustment is worth every penny of whatever I paid for it.  I've had to replace the drive belt on the lift a couple times in 20 years.
One youtuber mentioned you need to create a dust collection box around the master lift to prevent build up on the threads, what's been your experience?
I also have a Milwaukee 5625 in a cast iron router table.

I’m not very impressed as it’s variable speed seems to surge and ebb rather than keep a stable speed.

It also doesn’t get high enough for above table bit changes.

And for anybody counting, I have 6 router tables and a couple lifts that don’t even have tables.
And that doesn’t include the CNC…

One might say I have a router problem…
Duke is there a router motor you do like?
(10-20-2023, 08:48 AM)JDuke Wrote: I also have a Milwaukee 5625 in a cast iron router table.

I’m not very impressed as it’s variable speed seems to surge and ebb rather than keep a stable speed.

It also doesn’t get high enough for above table bit changes.

And for anybody counting, I have 6 router tables and a couple lifts that don’t even have tables.
And that doesn’t include the CNC…

One might say I have a router problem…

Good firsthand information. As I said, I have no Milwaukee routers, just read some of the reviews. Again, Makita is my favorite; would be great if they made a 3+ HP motor unit.

Doug
I’m the one above praising the triton.
(10-20-2023, 08:09 AM)davco Wrote: One youtuber mentioned you need to create a dust collection box around the master lift to prevent build up on the threads, what's been your experience?

I don't have one of these but am seriously considering it. Take a look at the video to the right.

Doug