220V plug wire question
Hey all,
    I am putting in a 220v plug for a Lincoln BuzzBox welder. 50amp breaker. I would like to run across a two car garage, say 30' total run. I was planning on using 6 AWG wire for the two hots. Should I also use 6 AWG for ground wire also?
Pretty sure if you buy 6/2 with ground that ground is 10 gauge.

Are you pulling individual strands or buying premade 6/2?
(12-26-2023, 02:41 PM)JosephP Wrote: Pretty sure if you buy 6/2 with ground that ground is 10 gauge.

Are you pulling individual strands or buying premade 6/2?

I bought a 2 foot sectin of 6/3 w/ground just to get a quick job done, but it looks like it would be way cheaper to run individual. What gauge ground would be recommended? I was honestly thinking that I needed 6.
(12-26-2023, 02:52 PM)TyG Wrote: I bought a 2 foot sectin of 6/3 w/ground just to get a quick job done, but it looks like it would be way cheaper to run individual. What gauge ground would be recommended? I was honestly thinking that I needed 6.

Joseph was correct #10 for the ground wire.  IF the ground is just used as a ground and not as a neutral. Roly
A buzzbox is 30 amps you would need a 10  gauge for 50 feet.
Your ground needs to carry the same current at your hot's and neutral, otherwise your ground becomes a fuse. So they have to be sized the same.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(12-26-2023, 08:29 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Your ground needs to carry the same current at your hot's and neutral, otherwise your ground becomes a fuse. So they have to be sized the same.

What does the NEC say ?     If it is just used as a equipment ground use a 10 ga for 60 amp breaker circuit.   Roly
NEC 250.122
Hey all,
    I am putting in a 220v plug for a Lincoln BuzzBox welder. 50amp breaker. I would like to run across a two car garage, say 30' total run. I was planning on using 6 AWG wire for the two hots. Should I also use 6 AWG for ground wire also?

I'm not an expert by any means, but strongly suggest that you read the NEC section on welder circuits, Article 630.     My AC/DC buzzbox is running on a NEC-legal circuit of 3 10AWG, THNN conductors.  Red Black and green.

Duty cycle is everything with sizing circuits for welders.
(12-27-2023, 06:33 PM)kencombs Wrote: Hey all,

I'm not an expert by any means, but strongly suggest that you read the NEC section on welder circuits, Article 630.     My AC/DC buzzbox is running on a NEC-legal circuit of 3 10AWG, THNN conductors.  Red Black and green.

Duty cycle is everything with sizing circuits for welders.

You are correct for a commercial shop,  BUT  in a residential situation where the house may be sold and a new owner plugs something like a dryer into the outlet, What would happen to the wiring ?   Extra crispy comes to mind.   Roly
As long as the breaker is sized for the wire the breaker opens. No harm no foul