Stair Railing
(01-04-2024, 10:04 AM)crokett™ Wrote: my understanding is the return may prevent injuries from a strap or similar getting looped over the end of the rail and caught on the way up or down the stairs.

the new railing does return to the wall, and is the max cross section allowed so should meet code, if it were ever checked.  where I live though, I don't think that will be an issue.  beside which we aren't selling the house any time soon.

That is correct.  Railings must return to the wall at both the top and bottom to prevent clothing, etc from getting snagged.  

For others' benefit, railings must meet cross section requirements to be graspable, which is important if someone slips.  We all know the simple round, oval, or small rectangular handrails.  They must have a perimeter of at least 4 but no more than 6-1/4".  If the perimeter is greater than 6-1/4", then it must finger recesses in the sides to be deemed graspable.  The location and depth of those recesses are precisely defined by the code.  Do not assume all commercially available handrails meet code.  You see those big, beautiful railings in stately buildings.  Most don't meet code, which is why there is a smaller, often brass, handrail to the inside.  

I only know this stuff because I've built a couple of balustrades, and I didn't want to get it wrong.  In the one town I worked in the building inspector asked for a cross sectional cut of the railing once he learned I was custom making it.  Some of these folks do check.  That was a new build so the odds of them checking is much higher.  In another home I worked in, a remodel, I don't know if it ever came up when the home was sold a couple years after I installed the balustrade.  

John
Bug 
(01-04-2024, 01:11 PM)crokett™ Wrote: There is a matching rail on the wall.  

https://share.icloud.com/photos/08a8U58e...t-QUW2a1nQ

Gotcha. I failed to look at all the pictures.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Looks real nice David.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(01-04-2024, 01:26 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That is correct.  Railings must return to the wall at both the top and bottom to prevent clothing, etc from getting snagged.  

For others' benefit, railings must meet cross section requirements to be graspable, which is important if someone slips.  We all know the simple round, oval, or small rectangular handrails.  They must have a perimeter of at least 4 but no more than 6-1/4".  If the perimeter is greater than 6-1/4", then it must finger recesses in the sides to be deemed graspable.  The location and depth of those recesses are precisely defined by the code.  Do not assume all commercially available handrails meet code.  You see those big, beautiful railings in stately buildings.  Most don't meet code, which is why there is a smaller, often brass, handrail to the inside.  

I only know this stuff because I've built a couple of balustrades, and I didn't want to get it wrong.  In the one town I worked in the building inspector asked for a cross sectional cut of the railing once he learned I was custom making it.  Some of these folks do check.  That was a new build so the odds of them checking is much higher.  In another home I worked in, a remodel, I don't know if it ever came up when the home was sold a couple years after I installed the balustrade.  

John

This makes sense.   I browse the real estate listings for several midwest cities daily.  Mostly looking at old houses that are still 'old', and a lot of them don't have the return.
(01-04-2024, 08:16 AM)Roly Wrote: Code .   Roly

Yup
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(01-04-2024, 08:36 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I'm wrong more often than being correct...but where I live, the "return to the wall" may be commercial.  I've installed several handrails without the return to the wall.  Who knows, I may be some "call backs" tomorrow.

It's international residential code (IRC). Whether your jurisdiction has adopted the code or not is another thing. It's not a new requirement. Maybe 20 yeas old?

[Image: ivtsSqt.png]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS